Black Sand

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with black diamond blasting sand?
I'm looking into using the fine black diamond blasting sand for a tank I'm planning. Does anyone have experience with it? I've read about occasionally getting magnetic particles, but can it mess with your water parameters?

Would it be better to use hawaiin black? I love the look of fine black sand after seeing some volcanic beaches and want to make that in a tank. I didn't like the large grain and white in hawaiin black.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with black diamond blasting sand?
I'm looking into using the fine black diamond blasting sand for a tank I'm planning. Does anyone have experience with it? I've read about occasionally getting magnetic particles, but can it mess with your water parameters?

Would it be better to use hawaiin black? I love the look of fine black sand after seeing some volcanic beaches and want to make that in a tank. I didn't like the large grain and white in hawaiin black.

I think it would be better to use Hawaiian black but I don’t use black sand so, I can’t really say which is better

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want all coarse Hawaii black, you can always mix it with white for that salt and pepper look.

Mine: I don't have a frecent full tank shot but here are some coral pics saved on the phone where you see the sand and the effect:

20210925_170342.jpg
20210906_133654.jpg

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your Corals look great!

I traveled to iceland earlier this year and loved their black sand beaches, where it was like normal fine sand, just back. I really want something to mirror that, but have been really struggling to find something

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main issue with black sand is that you don’t get the buffering effect you get with aragonite/crushed coral sand.
...it also makes your lighting look D R A B.

All reflective light gets muted. Yuke.

definitely look at someone's else tank with black substrate b4 doing it to yours.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back