Black Silicon Leaking- Looks like a bubble or warm hole

Travis Warren

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2018
Messages
910
Reaction score
476
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

My tank is 15 months old and started leaking last week. The aquarium builder is building another tank as we speak but he originally used black silicone. The bottom front glass is leaking and has a 3 inch flat glass with silicone over it. I took pictures of the black silicone with what looks like a air bubble that originally was not there or a possible worm hole. Sand is even in the bottom of it.

Has anyone had this issue with black silicone or any other silicone? I did request the brand that was used as I think it is the silicone issue.
20230408_092221.jpg
20230408_092404.jpg


16810535275107775207682699889401.jpg
 
20230408_092531.jpg
20230408_092550.jpg
20230408_092322.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 16810538133046206604241305508858.jpg
    16810538133046206604241305508858.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 16810539176413970092281382282890.jpg
    16810539176413970092281382282890.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109
Hi Travis, how did you go with the worm issue? We’re you able to catch the worms? My tank isn’t leaking but I think there are worms burrowing into the silicone…
 
Hi Travis, how did you go with the worm issue? We’re you able to catch the worms? My tank isn’t leaking but I think there are worms burrowing into the silicone…
Never got to see them and the builder swapped it out. I asked if he seen anything but he cut the rank up for new tank build reforcement. The new tank is built stringer and with corner guards. Hopefully will not have an issue for 50 plus years.
 
To follow up the new seems great but found this today. Got another thread to help identify the worm.
20250201_114855.jpg
Screenshot_20250201_112937_Photos.jpg
20250201_110326.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new