Black spots on clownfish

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed about 5-6 black spots on my female clownfish. She’s acting completely normal. I’m working on getting a picture of them but they aren’t cooperating. Any ideas? They love to swim around my torch, hammer and Duncan.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any new corals recently? Could be hypermelonization. Basically they haven't built up an immunity to a new coral that is stinging them yet. Very common in clownfish.
"
Hyper-Melanization

Common in clownfish, this appears as brown spots or ovals where a stinging coral or nem as come into contact with the fish’s skin. Typically nothing needs to be done to cure this as the clown becomes accustomed to it’s new host’s sting. This can occur with other fish, but again no action needs to be taken. It will heal up on it’s own.
hypermalinization-png.464581

"

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any new corals recently? Could be hypermelonization. Basically they haven't built up an immunity to a new coral that is stinging them yet. Very common in clownfish.
"
Hyper-Melanization

Common in clownfish, this appears as brown spots or ovals where a stinging coral or nem as come into contact with the fish’s skin. Typically nothing needs to be done to cure this as the clown becomes accustomed to it’s new host’s sting. This can occur with other fish, but again no action needs to be taken. It will heal up on it’s own.
hypermalinization-png.464581

"
Yes that picture is exactly what they look like. And I added a purple hammer and a torch to the tank so that’s probably it. I appreciate it!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Coral burn likely from the duncan. My clowns dont seem to be affected by the torches at all but they used to host a duncan colony in a previous tank that did this to their skin.

AMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that happened to me, it’s normal. Mine was fine.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back