Black spots on foxface and white on Clownfish

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try very hard not to disturb the wrasse, fairy wrasses can be a bit more sensitive to freshwater dip in my experience. Usually they tolerate it ok, but once or twice I’ve pulled one around the 3-minute mark because their breathing slowed dramatically. I’d try to keep the tank quiet and dark and hope for the best.

Was the dip matched to the temp of the tank they were coming from, and aerated? You can also splash a bit of tank water in right before adding the fish to better match ph.

The clean up crew should be able to dispose of the bodies, but it wouldn’t hurt to put an ammonia alert badge on the tank just as a precaution.

As for lighting, I actually don’t like to use lights on my QT... as they seem to encourage pesky algae/bacterial blooms. If you need lights to be able to see the fish clearly for inspection, I’d just turn them on for a couple of hours to feed... give them a good look over, and then shut them back off.

I have enough ambient light where my tanks are, that I don’t use lights at all.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s been a kind of mad dash to get everything together, so don’t take this the wrong way... I think you are putting in a great effort to try to save these guys.

But, since it’s been a few days/weeks since it started, assuming the “missing” fish likely had brook/flukes as well... the surviving fish would likely have a good deal of damage to the gills at this point.

If a fish doesn’t survive a freshwater dip, there is a very good chance they would not have survived anyway. We can’t always see how bad the damage really is until it’s passed the point of no return so to speak :(

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fairy wrasse is still hanging in there... at first it was swimming vertical and ending up on its back and flailing around, but it found it's way to the bottom of the QT by one of the PVC elbows. It pretty much just lays on its side but is still breathing. I probably shouldve taken it out of the fresh water dip a little earlier.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, well the foxface has black ich for sure... a freshwater dip to provide immediate relief, followed by prazipro or general cure dosed twice 5-7 days apart would be needed there.

But, the clown has brooklynella.

Treating both at the same time is going to be tricky, but it can be done.

All fish that share the tank will need treated for both, since parasites are transferable between tankmates. Both affected fish would benefit from a freshwater dip first:

Followed by a bath in Acriflavine. All of the fish in the tank should get the bath, as it is an important step in treating brook. Only the symptomatic fish need the freshwater dip, though. Ruby reef rally and API Fungus Cure are both good sources of acriflavine.

After this the fish should be transferred to a clean QT. Don’t use anything from your display to set it up, to try to avoid transferring brook to the QT.

Then, you’ll need to dose General Cure. This has both the praziquantel (for black ich) and metronidazole (for brook). You’ll also need Metroplex (just metronidazole) for in between, and for 14 days total.

So Day 1- General Cure
Day 3- Metro
Day 5- Metro
Day 7- General Cure
Day 9- Metro
Day 11- Metro
Day 13- Metro
Day 15- water change and carbon

You should do a small water change before each dose. This will also help manage ammonia during treatment.

We can help you through each step if needed. I know it can be overwhelming dealing with multiple parasites at once :(

I agree 100% on diagnosis ANd treatment. You saved me so much time, again! :D

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try very hard not to disturb the wrasse, fairy wrasses can be a bit more sensitive to freshwater dip in my experience. Usually they tolerate it ok, but once or twice I’ve pulled one around the 3-minute mark because their breathing slowed dramatically. I’d try to keep the tank quiet and dark and hope for the best.

Was the dip matched to the temp of the tank they were coming from, and aerated? You can also splash a bit of tank water in right before adding the fish to better match ph.

The clean up crew should be able to dispose of the bodies, but it wouldn’t hurt to put an ammonia alert badge on the tank just as a precaution.

As for lighting, I actually don’t like to use lights on my QT... as they seem to encourage pesky algae/bacterial blooms. If you need lights to be able to see the fish clearly for inspection, I’d just turn them on for a couple of hours to feed... give them a good look over, and then shut them back off.

I have enough ambient light where my tanks are, that I don’t use lights at all.
Yes I had the freshwater cup sitting in the tank to match temperatures, and had an air stone in there.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fairy wrasse is still hanging in there... at first it was swimming vertical and ending up on its back and flailing around, but it found it's way to the bottom of the QT by one of the PVC elbows. It pretty much just lays on its side but is still breathing. I probably shouldve taken it out of the fresh water dip a little earlier.

It’s hard to judge, fish freak out in freshwater dips in general so it’s difficult to determine what is “normal” freaking and when they are actually struggling.
I usually watch the breathing mostly.

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to judge, fish freak out in freshwater dips in general so it’s difficult to determine what is “normal” freaking and when they are actually struggling.
I usually watch the breathing mostly.
Her breathing is really slow so I think its only a matter of time before shes a goner...thanks for all the help so far...at least some are still alive!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the wrasse make it through the night? Flame wrasse are one of my favorite fish, my fingers are crossed for it :/

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all hanging in there...the 2 clowns still have some white flakes on their heads that look like they want to fall off...the foxface looks to be losing some of its black spots when hes not brown from being spooked. The puffer looks good but its difficult to get him to eat much since I have no snails or crabs in there to pick on. Any ideas on how to get it to eat more? I feed frozen shrimp and nori for the tang/foxface.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all hanging in there...the 2 clowns still have some white flakes on their heads that look like they want to fall off...the foxface looks to be losing some of its black spots when hes not brown from being spooked. The puffer looks good but its difficult to get him to eat much since I have no snails or crabs in there to pick on. Any ideas on how to get it to eat more? I feed frozen shrimp and nori for the tang/foxface.
Adding some live foods may help and also adding some garlic to the shrimp can entice them to eat. If you pm me your shipping address I'd be glad to send you a starter culture of Grindal Worms

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190521_143803.jpg
20190521_143715.jpg
20190521_144210.jpg

They looked pretty much the same after the bath

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well they definitely look better than in the first picture. You are continuing with the metro treatment? 2 scoops per 10 gallons every 48 hours (except for the days you are dosing General Cure), you'll want to do this for 14 days.

If they still look like the brook is lingering in a day or two... you might consider another rally bath.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back