Black Substrate - pros/cons and photos?

Shoob1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my black sand ill always have it in my tanks from now on, mine does have quite about of,white specs in it

0626172035a_HDR.jpg

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite provides "enhanced" buffering abilities. Can anyone confirm this is true?

Has anyone used this stuff? I can't find out what the grain size is.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 5.06.37 PM.png

I read that Natures Ocean has a lot of magnetic particles that cling to a magnetic scraper, scratching the glass.

I currently have the Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black in my 93 cube with no magnetic issues. Sure it looks cool, but imo the grain size is to big. It traps a lot of detritus. I'm in the process of setting up my 180 and bought 270 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive because of the smaller grain size. I also plan on mixing in a 40 pound bag of crushed coral and spread it out.

The Hawaiian Black has a LOT of silt in it. After 2 years I'm still vacuuming it out with water changes. It also has big red chunks of lava rock, though they're few and far between.

I believe the Indo has a lot more white in it. If anything, I would probably go with a inert type of black sand, maybe for freshwater, and mix in some crushed coral for buffering. Because I didn't get any buffering from the Hawaiian Black. And adding in a white Aragonite kind of defeats the purpose of black sand. It already has white aragonite in it and adding more will be like a 50/50 mix.

I would pass. I learned my lesson.

jkimballer29g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one ever mixed it with other material? I have sand & coarse coral. I have also been considering the addition of the Black... Does any one have any thoughts ?

Itsnayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I do ok in this 40 gallon breeder.

I can’t vacuum the bottom to save my life I got the smallest grain of substrate I could find. 20 lb bag and another 5 lb bag.

Sorry for the crappy quality but I've had my tank on black sand for about 3 months and haven't had any problems. Corals getting great from small frags (can't see it in the picture but I can post close ups if you need more proof). Same as any other sand so far
c2359eec717dd05766df3292920b0b31.jpg

David Foley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here has used black sand? Particularly either of these types:

Hawaiian Black (0.25 - 3.0 mm)

Indo-pacific Black (0.25 - 5.0 mm)

I am thinking about creating a tank with a Lembah Strait/Sulewsi Indonesia theme. The sand there is mucky, black and made up of volcanic matter.

I know the main issues with black sand are the lack of buffering abilities, as they are not calcium based. Has anyone every tried mixing it with some calcium based substrate? I was thinking about mixing it with some of the Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, to provide some calcium buffering.

Another issue is the grain size which has a wide range, up to 5.0 mm which is much too large. Could I use a strainer to sort out the extra large grains?

If you have used black sand in your tank, POST A PIC! I want to see what it actually looks like in real life.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back