Black Substrate - pros/cons and photos?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have the Hawaiian black sand and so far not much detritus on top and np issues with magnetism from the flipper.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I just received a highly metallic batch or my magnet is very powerful idk. What I do know is it never fails if I go just a hair too close to the substrate it sucks up bits of the gravel like a vacuum.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0246.JPG

Plummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hawaiian black sand and love it,I think it doesn't show as much algae or filth and throw in a gold headed sleeper goby the fish really stands out

scubaSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Hawaiian black sand for a 60g I ran in the past. The only con I found was it seemed to pull done the lighting in the tank. What I mean is I thought it would help highlight, but after everything got happy and the newer rocks colored up it was hard to find a nice viewing brightness imo. everything just blended together. I now appreciate the patches of open sand around the bottom.

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it looks best in a nano tank mainly because it's used most in offices for its sharp look but in a home aquarium I would prefer white sugar sand just because it looks better on bigger tanks and looks more traditional. That's just my opinion but it really helps to make corals "pop".

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, exactly the look I'm going for (awesome scape too). That sand has pretty bad amazon reviews (most complaining it's brown not black) but imo it looks fantastic in your photo, and is exactly the black/mucky color I'm looking for. I'm convinced.

There is nothing brown in the sand; there is black and greys (some very light that almost look white on the otherwise dark background). I've read comments regarding sticking to magnets; I use a Mag Float and have never had any collect on the scrubber and I clean right down to the sand; even if the outer edge of the scrubber touches the sand none clings to it. With that said, I dropped the magnetic side of a Jebao power head in the sand magnet side down and some did stick to that. I'm guessing the Mag Floats have just enough material between the magnet to prevent it from collecting the sand. I have predominantly white gobies (Randall's and diamond) so they really stand out against the sand (as does everything else). I dont want the sand to be noticed, much like the back of the tank (why I keep it clean).

My previous tank using the same sand.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag float loves to pick up the sand lol I guess I have bad luck

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another pic with more light. I love the way it looks. I don't have a thick substrate. Just about 1 inch. A lot of corals. Switched to Jessie ap700 from the a160 nearly 2 weeks ago and already seeing growth. I love euphyllias.

13e3df15dbce5a358911761d28d28a95.jpg

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have switched over from White Over 2 years ago. I have a full reef, and never have issues with PH. I have Mandarin Goby and Diamond Goby and they love it as well. It will really make your corals POP. And as far as tidying up the sand bed, just use a Turkey baster to move around the sediment.
373b6199ea07dded8b72d77cc0fac58e.jpg
I
b7bdce165b8fb0e38efaa96104ed6d96.jpg
25408dc4b323a610d52df501345f905e.jpg

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Carib Sea Super Naturals premium substrate in black which looks amazing when you start adding corals, the contrast is unmatched. The grain is fine but they're heavy so even with high flow they won't blow around nearly as much as fine white sand. I've yet to find another black sand that is as black as this is...think the difference between an LCD display and an OLED and that describes the black level difference. I'll be doing a new build in the near future and I will certainly be using it again in the new tank. As far as issues with it i've had the tank running about 4 years and no issues with it to speak of and yes in comparison to white substrate this black hides the uglies way better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back