Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here has used black sand? Particularly either of these types:

Hawaiian Black (0.25 - 3.0 mm)

Indo-pacific Black (0.25 - 5.0 mm)

I am thinking about creating a tank with a Lembah Strait/Sulewsi Indonesia theme. The sand there is mucky, black and made up of volcanic matter.

I know the main issues with black sand are the lack of buffering abilities, as they are not calcium based. Has anyone every tried mixing it with some calcium based substrate? I was thinking about mixing it with some of the Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, to provide some calcium buffering.

Another issue is the grain size which has a wide range, up to 5.0 mm which is much too large. Could I use a strainer to sort out the extra large grains?

If you have used black sand in your tank, POST A PIC! I want to see what it actually looks like in real life.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy quality but I've had my tank on black sand for about 3 months and haven't had any problems. Corals getting great from small frags (can't see it in the picture but I can post close ups if you need more proof). Same as any other sand so far
c2359eec717dd05766df3292920b0b31.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look its fine.

The main concern is iron. Which may or not be a concern. Some are magnetic.

I wouldnt worry about size of grains.

Aragonite doesnt buffer at all unless ph gets below 7.6 in which case your tanks going to be in trouble. And that rarely happens

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the main issues with black sand are the lack of buffering abilities, as they are not calcium based. Has anyone every tried mixing it with some calcium based substrate? I was thinking about mixing it with some of the Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, to provide some calcium buffering.

I don't consider that any issue as sand doesn't appreciably buffer unless you have terrible pH problems.

Just be sure it is real sand and not coal slag or some other potentially contaminated product.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite provides "enhanced" buffering abilities. Can anyone confirm this is true?

Has anyone used this stuff? I can't find out what the grain size is.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 5.06.37 PM.png

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy quality but I've had my tank on black sand for about 3 months and haven't had any problems. Corals getting great from small frags (can't see it in the picture but I can post close ups if you need more proof). Same as any other sand so far
c2359eec717dd05766df3292920b0b31.jpg
Is that Caribsea Hawaiian Black? Looks good.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice so you dont see nasty algae growing on it (compared to white)

Volcanic scares me though because it comes from the earth. Just think of all the metals down there molten. Could be good or bad though. Could contain copper, nickle, lead or anything. Might even be beneficial as its like a slow dose of "micro nutrients". Id suspect aragonite doesnt come with as much impurity as volvanic sand would becaise coral doesnt bind much impurities.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice so you dont see nasty algae growing on it (compared to white)

Volcanic scares me though because it comes from the earth. Just think of all the metals down there molten. Could be good or bad though. Could contain copper, nickle, lead or anything. Might even be beneficial as its like a slow dose of "micro nutrients". Id suspect aragonite doesnt come with as much impurity as volvanic sand would.

I actually read a lot of the opposite regarding cleanliness. Many have said it's hard to keep clean. I never fully understood how that could be true.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer regular sand in comparison to the black substrates. I have no ph issues at all however I have cosmetic issues id like to address. Detritus and any and all debris that settle on the substrate stick out like a sore thumb meaning more effort is needed to maintain a clean substrate bc literally everything stands out. I'm more than likely pulling it out slowly and going with a different substrate. Only positive I have of using it is it doesnt make sand storms because it's heavy.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer regular sand in comparison to the black substrates. I have no ph issues at all however I have cosmetic issues id like to address. Detritus and any and all debris that settle on the substrate stick out like a sore thumb meaning more effort is needed to maintain a clean substrate bc literally every stands out. I'm more than likely pulling it out slowly and going with a different substrate. Only positive I have of using it is it doesnt make sand storms because it's heavy.
What black substrate are you currently using?

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer regular sand in comparison to the black substrates. I have no ph issues at all however I have cosmetic issues id like to address. Detritus and any and all debris that settle on the substrate stick out like a sore thumb meaning more effort is needed to maintain a clean substrate bc literally everything stands out. I'm more than likely pulling it out slowly and going with a different substrate. Only positive I have of using it is it doesnt make sand storms because it's heavy.
Can I see some photos? Also interested in photos of the detritus/debris you speak of?

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the hawaiin black, I'll try to get some pics later when I get home from work. Tonight's clean up/water change night so it should be nice and dirty for ya lol.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any debris issues but I have lots of snails and crabs cleaning it up also I only have 6 fish so maybe I just don't have much building up

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also if you're worried about ph drop, only when it's really low. Add a teaspoon of baking soda. Doesn't harm fish or corals and will bring ph up almost instantly. That's why I only say in emergencies because that's a rapid parameter change

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite provides "enhanced" buffering abilities. Can anyone confirm this is true?
]

It's not. lol

Aragonite cannot dissolve in seawater until the pH drops well down into the 7's.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you have other more important problems then and buffering if your ph is in the low 7s

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has anyone used this stuff? I can't find out what the grain size is.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 5.06.37 PM.png
I used this stuff on two of my tanks. I do not believe that it has "enhanced buffering abilities". My sps tank is have issues with PH lately because I have to run the AC all day because it is 110 degrees out here! It drops to 7.6 at night sometimes!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back