Black Vinyl to cover waterline - rimless tanks

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a 425xl red sea reefer and I love everything about the tank except above the waterline. Above the waterline always appears dirty and seems to be wasted space. I am wondering if anyone has put black vinyl strips around the "rimless" portion of a rimless aquarium to hide the waterline and above it? Thanks.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any photos but I've seen people do the vinyl wrap as well as build a "frame" out of wood and paint it to match whichever stand color/stain they have.

I'd personally just spend the few extra minutes to clean the glass with a razor 2-3 times a week.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any photos but I've seen people do the vinyl wrap as well as build a "frame" out of wood and paint it to match whichever stand color/stain they have.

I'd personally just spend the few extra minutes to clean the glass with a razor 2-3 times a week.

Thanks, I kind of don't like the "blank" space that rimless tanks create. Prefer the "framed in look".

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a red sea but raised the water level in my rimless IM tank. Just need to add a surface skimmer near the overflow. Helps a lot to minimize the dirty section of the glass.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe time for an upgrade to something with a rim?

Just bought this 2 year old reefer 425xl with 2 radion xr15 g4pros, 2 mp10s, vecrta m1, and reef octopus 150int regal for $500 on craigslist so no new upgrade in the future. I got such a good deal on the rimless that I can live with it BUT was seeing what mods anyone has done to "cover up" the "rimless" portion.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a job for some black vinyl electrical tape. Comes in many widths.

I was kind of hoping there was a company making something professionally to fit. The backside of the reefer has a really nice really thick black vinyl type sticker on the back, it would be the perfect material to use.

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an obvious question but how did you raise the water level?
these guys glued in at the overflow
1566404706853.png

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kind of hoping there was a company making something professionally to fit. The backside of the reefer has a really nice really thick black vinyl type sticker on the back, it would be the perfect material to use.

Buy some vinyl and give it a try? Google has tons of results for aquarium vinyl, all you’ll need is to cut it to size.

Back