OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though this LED string is 'waterproof' - all of the LEDs below the water line have failed :(.

I wonder why that is. I do have room for this reactor in the other part of my stand - and I have the hose to make it work - but my concern is water leaking/getting out when I open it up to check the algae.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns out the LED strip I got was IP65 and I needed IP68 - thought I ordered IP68 but ... I guess not.

New strip incoming - rated for underwater use.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor fits in a 6” pipe so I bought and cut one and lined it with LEDs.

D402193E-15BC-4E35-B686-4B2C63A9DC4A.jpeg

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though this LED string is 'waterproof' - all of the LEDs below the water line have failed :(.

I wonder why that is. I do have room for this reactor in the other part of my stand - and I have the hose to make it work - but my concern is water leaking/getting out when I open it up to check the algae.

Cheap Chinese led lights aren’t waterproof. I have some actinic strip leds in my hood and they are rusting even tho they were advertised as waterproof also and they aren’t in the water

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap Chinese led lights aren’t waterproof. I have some actinic strip leds in my hood and they are rusting even tho they were advertised as waterproof also and they aren’t in the water
Yeah. I found some IP68 ones but I’m just going to run it external. I ordered some quick disconnect no-drip fittings from BRS.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lighting on my algae is 5,000 lumens / 39 Watts. They almost use as much power as my return pump on max.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Chaeto that I bought for like $8 at the LFS and maybe the size of a golf ball has now completely filled my reactor. Funny enough my PH swing has been cut in half or more - so yeah - pretty happy with the outcome.

Last edited:

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to TJ Max, Marshalls, Home Depot, Target or pretty much anywhere and just buy a cheap plastic garbage can that is the right size. Cut the bottom off if you want.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to TJ Max, Marshalls, Home Depot, Target or pretty much anywhere and just buy a cheap plastic garbage can that is the right size. Cut the bottom off if you want.
Problem was solved a bit ago.:)

That’s clever though. Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back