Blasto v. Acans - The faster grower

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blasto frag (Blastomussa wellsi) that started as two heads and now is at 6. This growth has occurred over a 5-month span.

image.jpg

(not my frag, just the same species)

The growth has outpaced my acans considerably. I see growth on all of my Acanthastrea lordhowensis, but nothing like the blasto.

Are blastos considered fast growers? What is the fastest growing acan lord?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blasto frag (Blastomussa wellsi) that started as two heads and now is at 6. This growth has occurred over a 5-month span.

image.jpg

(not my frag, just the same species)

The growth has outpaced my acans considerably. I see growth on all of my Acanthastrea lordhowensis, but nothing like the blasto.

Are blastos considered fast growers? What is the fastest growing acan lord?
Your lucky. I have a single head blasto that hasn’t made new heads in over a year. My acans on the other hand have gone from single heads to 10+ heads per mini colony now. Strange, lol. Do you target feed yours or anything special?

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lucky. I have a single head blasto that hasn’t made new heads in over a year. My acans on the other hand have gone from single heads to 10+ heads per mini colony now. Strange, lol. Do you target feed yours or anything special?
target feed once a week. dose seachem two part.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little trick is to make some reef roid paste or gel consistancy. Get a dental flushing syringe with the curved plastic tip, cut a little off so you can suck it in and feed each mouth when you have time. Acans are my favorite.

Thats a good idea, usually do something like this mixed with small mysis chunks. I have to wait until after my lights turn off so my shrimp dont steal everything.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, amazing colonies, love the large polyp ones. you have a dosing or feeding regiment for them? and what size is the system.

I just feed reef roids every day. Broadcast. And add red sea A and B daily. Plus about 11 fish pooping.
It's a standard 125g.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both acans and blasto need low light and flow? I have a 10 gallon and seem all the easy corals besides sps want low light. I have a new tank with some acan, blastos and zoas. Everything is in my sand bed. I have a current orbit loop and I have a big thick bridge that sits right up under the light and I had planned on putting my corals on it. So far I have 2 sps there, fixing to trade them to my lfs. I only got them because I won them on ebay for 5 bucks and I was picking up a rainbow acan so I got those as well, with plans to trade. What lps or softies can I put on that bridge under light? I suppose after I trade my sps, I could turn light way down a nd maybe keep some low light corals there but then the ones on m y sand bed may not get enough.

Also My corals wont grow! I have had them a month and only growth from blasto wellsi, one tiny head. I feed reef roids and mysis, but they dont seem interested. I make a thick paste and just let it sit on top of them. I dont dose at all being my lfs said I shouldnt need to being I change water weekly and only have a few small frags and 2 young clowns and a cleaner shrimp. Should I add some trace minerals or something specifically for growth and color? I read that iodine is beneficial for shrimp because they molt What is recommended that would benefit corals and shrimp?

I also have a 75 gallon in my garage we're working on! The reefing fever has got me! LOL plus I got a 36 bowfront for fresh water planted not to mention my 5 gallon betta which is what started the craze!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a reaction score? Anyone know? Mine isnt to good...lol. I probably hijacked this post from vsvp...sorry. It just got me to thinking and I didnt want to put out a new post again. I have done that last 2 days in a row! Maybe this is why my reaction score is low! haha

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a reaction score? Anyone know? Mine isnt to good...lol. I probably hijacked this post from vsvp...sorry. It just got me to thinking and I didnt want to put out a new post again. I have done that last 2 days in a row! Maybe this is why my reaction score is low! haha
It's just a measure of how many people have clicked "Like" on your posts.

Back