Bleach aquarium with aptasia?

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone im currently about to tear down my 200 gallon that has aptasia in it just a few quick questions
1. should i use bleach to kill the aptasia or something else and what dosage should i use if using bleach or vinegar or any others.
2. can i run my return pump and mp40's in the bleach when its being sterilized just so that no aptasia spores stay. as well as skimmer and reactors?
3. maybe just a little rundown on how to sterilize and a base layout on time and what to do.
4. i dont need suggestions on fighting aptasia ive already been through everything and im tired of it spent more money fighting that if i would have just taken the system down and reset it.
5 No live rock or sand will stay it will be all new rock and sand only things that are staying are equipment and fish.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run your tank equipment through a mild bleach solution without issue.
I have the same exact issue but I’m gonna dry my stuff out instead.
Instead of nuking them, I’m going to run my rocks in 10 ppt salt, should kill whatever aptaisia and preserve some of the biofilm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of nuking them, I’m going to run my rocks in 10 ppt salt, should kill whatever aptaisia and preserve some of the biofilm
Do you happen to know the ratio for the solution? It’s a 200 gallon tank

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone im currently about to tear down my 200 gallon that has aptasia in it just a few quick questions
1. should i use bleach to kill the aptasia or something else and what dosage should i use if using bleach or vinegar or any others.
2. can i run my return pump and mp40's in the bleach when its being sterilized just so that no aptasia spores stay. as well as skimmer and reactors?
3. maybe just a little rundown on how to sterilize and a base layout on time and what to do.
4. i dont need suggestions on fighting aptasia ive already been through everything and im tired of it spent more money fighting that if i would have just taken the system down and reset it.
5 No live rock or sand will stay it will be all new rock and sand only things that are staying are equipment and fish.

This is a simple, yet difficult answer to provide.

You state the fish will stay? Do you mean the fish will remain through the treatment, or will be relocated to a different tank? What about your corals? If you don't have corals, and your aiptasia issue came in with the fish, how do you plan to deal with reintroduction of the fish?

The fish will not survive the bleach treatment (at least none that I am aware of in the concentration required)

So, fish in QT.. empty tank.. you could fill the tank to the top with bleach. After treatment would be the same. Wash everything that contacted the bleach with running fresh water, soak it all for a day a week... who knows, in clean RO water. changing it often to eliminate the residue.

Refill the tank, reintroduce the fish... get a few corals and discover.. OMG I have an aiptasia!!

There is no clear cut quick fix to this. Aiptasia is like the common cold, you're gonna get it no matter what you do. And just like the common cold, there is no real cure. You can alleviate a few symptoms, but you pretty much need to let it run its course.

Berghia nudibranchs are specialized aiptasia eaters. That is all they eat, period. A couple of them should solve your issue.

Upvote 0

Ali001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10:1 gallon mix of water to bleach okay ive had some nasty pests like vermitid snails and bubble algae bad so i want to let the whole empty tank and all its equipment soak in bleach for a week its a redsea max nano, do you reckon it will be fine to bleach

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bad idea. All these pests will just come right back.

For aiptasia: get pyramid butterfly, Copperband, peppermint shrimp, filefish, or aiptasia eating nudibranchs

Bubble algae: foxface fish, emerald crabs

Vermitid snails: manual remove any that is bothering corals.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back