Bleach removal with Prime

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning folks. I can't seem to fine an exact article, or formula, only generic "add a cup full" etc. So here's my question, I have a 5 gallons of clean SW, I added 20ml of bleach and kept overnight. How much prime do I need to add to fully neutralize it?

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the concentration of your bleach.

Seachem provides instructions for Safe (powdered Prime) that talks about how much to add based on grams of chlorine. Take a look at that and work backwards, they provide safe to prime ratios somewhere.

Another thing you could do is just add some, agitate and let it sit another day. If you smell bleach the next day it needs more, our noses are really sensitive to chlorine

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good morning folks. I can't seem to fine an exact article, or formula, only generic "add a cup full" etc. So here's my question, I have a 5 gallons of clean SW, I added 20ml of bleach and kept overnight. How much prime do I need to add to fully neutralize it?
Curious why you added bleach to saltwater
So adding a capful or two cap fulls isn't an option?
On my bottle of API Tap Water Conditioner it says " To remove chlorine add 1 ml for 20 gallons."

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No idea, I would throw it away. What are you using it for?
Not helpful to just throw it away, a I would have to do it again, and be back at the same question. :) I am doing this on purpose for phyto.

Curious why you added bleach to saltwater
So adding a capful or two cap fulls isn't an option?
On my bottle of API Tap Water Conditioner it says " To remove chlorine add 1 ml for 20 gallons."
I am disinfecting water for phyto. Generic instructions on the bottle are for tap water, but my dosage is higher.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends on the concentration of your bleach.

Seachem provides instructions for Safe (powdered Prime) that talks about how much to add based on grams of chlorine. Take a look at that and work backwards, they provide safe to prime ratios somewhere.

Another thing you could do is just add some, agitate and let it sit another day. If you smell bleach the next day it needs more, our noses are really sensitive to chlorine
Yep I figured it would depend on concentration, but I can "fix" the math from there. Lets say its standard 5% household bleach.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not helpful to just throw it away, a I would have to do it again, and be back at the same question. :) I am doing this on purpose for phyto.

I am disinfecting water for phyto. Generic instructions on the bottle are for tap water, but my dosage is higher.
Got it.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Isopropyl Alcohol was what you were supposed to use? Also that this was not how to raise Phyto as bad Bacteria was destined to sometimes get into a batch. You keep trying till you get it going with good bacteria. Bleaching Equipment, if you need to start over.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, maybe not. Why have you treated so much? Nice edit by the way.
Thanks, I figured it might have come out mean as it was half a thought, not enough coffee in me yet.

I thought Isopropyl Alcohol was what you were supposed to use? Also that this was not how to raise Phyto as bad Bacteria was destined to sometimes get into a batch. You keep trying till you get it going with good bacteria. Bleaching Equipment, if you need to start over.
Isopropyl Alcohol is to clean equipment. But I want to sterilize the water. Think of starting a brand new tank, you use RO Water, mix salt, add to tank = algae. Algae is everywhere, and it can outcompete Phyto.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grew phyto for a couple of years, never sterilized the water, just the jugs. But i know some strains are harder than others.
Nano, tetra, iso didnt seem to care.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grew phyto for a couple of years, never sterilized the water, just the jugs. But i know some strains are harder than others.
Nano, tetra, iso didnt seem to care.
I actually ran into an issue with Nano and Pavlova, ISO was outcompeted instantly, like within a week. But it was weak to begin with.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ran into an issue with Nano and Pavlova, ISO was outcompeted instantly, like within a week. But it was weak to begin with.
highest chance of success for the 3 mentioned is higher starting culture concentration to outcompete other stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back