Bleached mushrooms in recovery

  • Thread starter Thread starter jpark457
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jpark457

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2021
Messages
111
Reaction score
118
Location
Scarsdale
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heater malfunction a while back and it ended up bleaching out a bunch of my red discosomas. I looked all over the place then to try to figure out if they would come back or color up again and couldn’t find anything telling me they would and just a few posts saying they were toast. What I believe happened is that they lost their photosynthetic symbiotic algae and were left as these weird pale translucent husks.
A few months have gone by and some new polyps?/ mushrooms sprouted from where the old ones were and any of the bleached out mushrooms that touch the new growth gets pigment that starts a lines running from the center to the edge then spreads to fill in all the bleached area. Seems like the new growth is transferring pigment / algae to the old bleached out shells. Got a pic because I thought it was cool. And you can see the various stages from totally bleached to totally colored up again. I had none left with any color to them at one point. Wanted to share in case anybody else has similar happen.
AC1B3A23-15AD-47A5-9D90-4B862D061130.jpeg
 
It just shows how life can survive and adapt in these situations
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new