Bleaching Monti with an LED?

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago my local reef club was doing a raffle and I ended up winning a grafted monti. I am fairly new to reefing, but the guy who gave it to me that if I slowly work the frag up to the upper most rock in my tank that I should be okay. This is because I only have a current USA orbit for lighting. I noticed yesterday that there was a white spot towards the middle of the frag, so I kept an eye on it and this morning the white spot seems to be bigger. I don’t have a picture from his morning Because the lights weren’t on yet and I didn’t want to flash my fish. I do have a picture from yesterday, but I will take a better picture today to update y’all. I just don’t want to be bleaching it possibly.

B215BBFE-2162-46A6-AD23-F66F7046BCE4.jpeg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be transportation stress.
Maybe a other coral stung it?
What kind of fish in the tank.
If this is in the center it wouldn't be the parameters but I'm going to ask you if you can test your water tonight.
Salt
Ph
Temp
Alk
Cal
Mag
Po4
No3

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for a month and I know SPS are weird when showing symptoms, so maybe it could be transpiration stress. The monti is pretty much the only coral on the right side of my tank. The only other thing is a Kenyan tree a foot below it. I have a tomini tang, 2 clowns, a mandarin dragonet, and a watchman goby. Could any of them affect it? I get back to my house in 2 hours, so I will test everything when I get back.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for a month and I know SPS are weird when showing symptoms, so maybe it could be transpiration stress. The monti is pretty much the only coral on the right side of my tank. The only other thing is a Kenyan tree a foot below it. I have a tomini tang, 2 clowns, a mandarin dragonet, and a watchman goby. Could any of them affect it? I get back to my house in 2 hours, so I will test everything when I get back.
Don't think those fish would have anything to do with it unless maybe the goby put some sand on top of it.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think those fish would have anything to do with it unless maybe the goby put some sand on top of it.
The goby was just added last week and hasn’t really left his hole much. I will post some pictures of where the frag is located and then up close of the frag.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of it right now. That white spot is gone now. I don’t know what it could have been.
As for it not being a monti, it came pretty much directly from WWC, so it should be a green-red grafted monti.

693EB132-A417-4678-8A2A-A7C00C93F83A.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of it right now. That white spot is gone now. I don’t know what it could have been.
As for it not being a monti, it came pretty much directly from WWC, so it should be a green-red grafted monti.

693EB132-A417-4678-8A2A-A7C00C93F83A.jpeg
I don't see any grafting.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I put the blue canceling glasses on, there is a green strip through it if I remember right

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a better pic. I can see it being a monti now. Still looks a bit off though.

Dip it in revive and see if any nudis fall off.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a monti but I don't trust that it's a grafted monti. Did you buy from a vendor on here? Not trying to question the seller but showing a pic from world wide corals doesn't make his piece the same. With the polyps that large I'm seriously doubting it's a world wide piece. You said it came "pretty much" from world wide? Unless you know the seller I'd question him on proving it.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a monti but I don't trust that it's a grafted monti. Did you buy from a vendor on here? Not trying to question the seller but showing a pic from world wide corals doesn't make his piece the same. With the polyps that large I'm seriously doubting it's a world wide piece. You said it came "pretty much" from world wide? Unless you know the seller I'd question him on proving it.
I won it in a raffle, so I received it from a member of my Reef club. He gets his corals from WWC, and he told me it was a WWC grafted monti. That’s why I said it is kinda directly from WWC. I don’t really know what to call that exchange. What do you think it is if not a grafted monti? Could I just not be doing something right?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many different montis, it's hard to tell. All the grafted monti frags I've seen at world wide in person looked different. Hopefully it will color up and it's a true grafted piece.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back