Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I like to keep my magnesium closer to 1500. I try to replicate everything at WWC as best as possible since most of my corals have come from them. I don't have to dose much Mg. But I do need to add a little extra to keep it where I want it.

My tank is out in the middle of the living room. I have spent too much time and money on decorating to have a 5 gallon bucket cluttering the room up. lol Basically just being picky.

giphy.gif
Put the bucket/ATO reservoir in the stand! Or is everything on display? And lol!!! at the gif ;Joyful;Joyful

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had an eureka moment.... I plan on having the ATO reservoir be auto toped off... I don't need a 15 gallon reservoir, because I shouldn't ever be touching it. I think I'll contact them and ask about the extra bulk head. If they can do that, then it's perfect!

shouldn’t you be flushing your RODI prior to having it fill up your ATO? Otherwise it could slowly cause a TDS creep into your ATO.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shouldn’t you be flushing your RODI prior to having it fill up your ATO? Otherwise it could slowly cause a TDS creep into your ATO.

Yep. I have the 7 stage RODI unit from brs with the flush on it. I always flush it when I turn on the RODI unit. I have a 35 gallon jug in my garage that I want to pump to the RODI reservoir next to the tank. I only turn on my RODI unit when the tank in the garage needs to be refilled Or if I need to
Mix salt water.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have the 7 stage RODI unit from brs with the flush on it. I always flush it when I turn on the RODI unit. I have a 35 gallon jug in my garage that I want to pump to the RODI reservoir next to the tank. I only turn on my RODI unit when the tank in the garage needs to be refilled Or if I need to
Mix salt water.
7 stages, how bad is your city water?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... From Advanced Acrylics.... They do custom work, so I would think they could drill it however you want it, or use a different color acrylic.

https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/auto-top-off/products/copy-of-10-gal-black-ato-1

1603713568829.png
That looks sweet!
Lol reading more of your posts now and I get what you’re looking for sorry.

Someone

I read more of your posts XDDD

haha yeah I get the visual as a bonus.

For ease someone also suggested once something like this:

You might be able to find a prettier one I'm sure fancy people with dogs like nice food storage as well. Plus is the wheels so you could have 20G easy and just roll it around. Im always shopping for workable budget options since the coral are so pricey already XDDD

Here's an outside the box idea I found by @DesertReefBoy

1.jpeg
Lol, love it. I stared at this for like 5 minutes before I figured it out.
I am just using a 29 gallon aquarium from PetCo's "Dollar-A-Gallon" sale. I painted the exterior blue (you could paint your glass navy blue and the trim gold :)) and will drill my own small bulkheads. This is a 5 gallon similar version of what I will be doing for my 125.

5GallonATO-1.jpg

And the 29 gallon. I will be making a glass or matching blue PVC sheet top for it.

DSC09829.JPG

this is what happens when I get busy! I looked at my build thread and there’s tons of ideas! I love the vase. That’s definitely something I’m going to have to think about. I don’t have room in my stand for a reservoir. I can definitely think about painting something on my own too. Not sure whyI hadn’t thought about that.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 stages, how bad is your city water?

It depends on the time of year. Was more to make sure id always be set. I also wanted the 3 different resins so I could keep the anion and cation separate.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted a video on my carbon and gfo media. Probably isn’t meant for this audience, but thought it would be good for new reefers... and for me, to remind myself what I did.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solving this.

2C8F3839-10F5-4B1B-9D8F-219589F8C56B.jpeg

everything else looks amazing. Ido have a TON of aiptasia, but some Berghias are taking of it slowly... but there’s a ton next to that.

it was completely fine yesterday around lunch. I noticed it was turning white around 5 yesterday. My all consumption has been rapidly increasing with the growth. Rapid is relative though. I’ve been increasing my dosage by .5 ml a day and it’s having a slow decline anyway, maybe I need to increase it by 1 ml a day? I normally like to keep it at 8.8-9 and it’s down to 7.6 this morning. I’ll add my apex chart too. My Hannah checker says the alk is 7.3, so it’s definitely dropping. This drop has been over the past week. Here’s the trident graph.

23578EA5-EA24-49F6-B7BC-470072C97E48.png

My corals are growing crazy fast suddenly, so I do think they’re pulling it out. I can’t imagine how much the alk would have dropped if I didn’t have my trident telling me to increase alk dosing.

Oh... my phosphate was at .04 last weekend, so I took out my carbon And gfo reactors for the first time since June. I added those back in last night, cause the phosphate was at .1, but I wouldn’t think that was THAT much higher, but I’m by no means an expert.

I want to make sure that something else may not be causing this... like too much light or a flow issue. I’ll post a fts at the bottom too.

All measurements from Last night or this morning:

NO3: 10-25 salifert
P04: .1 phosphorous Hannah checker, ppb
Salinity: 33.5 (typically try to shoot for 34, but may need to increase that. Just don’t want to chase numbers unless it may be the problem.)
Alk: 7.6 trident and 7.3 Hannah checker phosphorous ppb
Calcium: 451 trident
Magnesium: 1429 trident
Ph is going between 7.
Temp is between 76 and 78

2 mp10’s and a radion xr15.

Circle coral is the one I’m concerned about.

4B2D348B-BED9-4BAE-A8C7-DAA6AE200C7C.jpeg

*babysitting the corals on the rack.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
realized that other picture didn’t show the white part well.

85B02066-3C62-4DEF-8383-05C837577582.jpeg

Problem solving this.

2C8F3839-10F5-4B1B-9D8F-219589F8C56B.jpeg

everything else looks amazing. Ido have a TON of aiptasia, but some Berghias are taking of it slowly... but there’s a ton next to that.

it was completely fine yesterday around lunch. I noticed it was turning white around 5 yesterday. My all consumption has been rapidly increasing with the growth. Rapid is relative though. I’ve been increasing my dosage by .5 ml a day and it’s having a slow decline anyway, maybe I need to increase it by 1 ml a day? I normally like to keep it at 8.8-9 and it’s down to 7.6 this morning. I’ll add my apex chart too. My Hannah checker says the alk is 7.3, so it’s definitely dropping. This drop has been over the past week. Here’s the trident graph.

23578EA5-EA24-49F6-B7BC-470072C97E48.png

My corals are growing crazy fast suddenly, so I do think they’re pulling it out. I can’t imagine how much the alk would have dropped if I didn’t have my trident telling me to increase alk dosing.

Oh... my phosphate was at .04 last weekend, so I took out my carbon And gfo reactors for the first time since June. I added those back in last night, cause the phosphate was at .1, but I wouldn’t think that was THAT much higher, but I’m by no means an expert.

I want to make sure that something else may not be causing this... like too much light or a flow issue. I’ll post a fts at the bottom too.

All measurements from Last night or this morning:

NO3: 10-25 salifert
P04: .1 phosphorous Hannah checker, ppb
Salinity: 33.5 (typically try to shoot for 34, but may need to increase that. Just don’t want to chase numbers unless it may be the problem.)
Alk: 7.6 trident and 7.3 Hannah checker phosphorous ppb
Calcium: 451 trident
Magnesium: 1429 trident
Ph is going between 7.
Temp is between 76 and 78

2 mp10’s and a radion xr15.

Circle coral is the one I’m concerned about.

4B2D348B-BED9-4BAE-A8C7-DAA6AE200C7C.jpeg

*babysitting the corals on the rack.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have amnesia... may just blame it on being up so late. I didn’t post the link to the video.

I'm lazy. I get extra cartridges for those reactors (I just use the minis on my nano) and keep them packed with media. When it comes time to service the reactor, I just unscrew the canister, rinse it out, and drop in an already filled cartridge and put the reactor back together. Real quick and easy. Then I will soak the used cartridge in bleach water and change the media at my leisure. It will be ready to go for the next servicing.

I don't get algae and coralline in my canister, because it is located in a place where it doesn't get any light. Maybe figure out a way to block the light from getting to your canisters and you can get by with just rinsing it out.

A44B97B8-3940-4387-9786-41DDB89993A3.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lazy. I get extra cartridges for those reactors (I just use the minis on my nano) and keep them packed with media. When it comes time to service the reactor, I just unscrew the canister, rinse it out, and drop in an already filled cartridge and put the reactor back together. Real quick and easy. Then I will soak the used cartridge in bleach water and change the media at my leisure. It will be ready to go for the next servicing.

I don't get algae and coralline in my canister, because it is located in a place where it doesn't get any light. Maybe figure out a way to block the light from getting to your canisters and you can get by with just rinsing it out.

A44B97B8-3940-4387-9786-41DDB89993A3.jpeg

smart ideas! Is there a name for the inside canister?

The reactors were mounted right next to the light. This is my first time putting them on the opposite corner. So I hope that Helps the growth some also.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I would trust that cabinet as it is, you're looking at putting 600-700lbs or more on top of it.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I would trust that cabinet as it is, you're looking at putting 600-700lbs or more on top of it.

Yep. Definitely in the back Of my mind too. My bigger concern is water damage. This is definitely not a 10 year tank and I knew that when I first started it. It given me the opportunity to learn so that when I do
My fully custom build in the next year or so, I know exactly what I’m looking for.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have amnesia... may just blame it on being up so late. I didn’t post the link to the video.

Nice video, I never put a sponge on the bottom. I actually cut extra sponges and put an extra one or two on top when I use carbon (rarely) or phosguard. It seems to hold the medium down so it doesnt grind itself. The biggest issue I have is that the sponge needs cleaning every couple days. And GFO was never able to get my phosphate below .2 so I now dose Lanthanum Chloride.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video, I never put a sponge on the bottom. I actually cut extra sponges and put an extra one or two on top when I use carbon (rarely) or phosguard. It seems to hold the medium down so it doesnt grind itself. The biggest issue I have is that the sponge needs cleaning every couple days. And GFO was never able to get my phosphate below .2 so I now dose Lanthanum Chloride.
Cheers! Mark

So no sponge on the bottom of either? LOL. I swear that’s what the instructions said to do, but now I can’t find them.

I’m so glad I made that video. I need to make videos for all the things I’m doing so I can learn all the things I can do better. Guess I’ll be updating the video next time I need to change it.

my phosphate was up to 1 earlier in the year. I’ve used a combination of phosphate-e and gfo to get it down. The gfo has been enough of late. I am nervous that it’s going to get it too low and I’m going to be late noticing it though.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no sponge on the bottom of either? LOL. I swear that’s what the instructions said to do, but now I can’t find them.

I’m so glad I made that video. I need to make videos for all the things I’m doing so I can learn all the things I can do better. Guess I’ll be updating the video next time I need to change it.

my phosphate was up to 1 earlier in the year. I’ve used a combination of phosphate-e and gfo to get it down. The gfo has been enough of late. I am nervous that it’s going to get it too low and I’m going to be late noticing it though.
The cartridges come with two sponges, so you are probably right about the instructions. Being a guy that doesn't follow directions, I only use one on the top when I run carbon. :)

Back