Blemish on Scopas tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of thought scrapes would be impossible since I did not net the fish to move it to quarantine I used a fish trap so the fish was less stressed than chasing it with a net. What concerns me is the tang is flashing a bit. Maybe because of the infection and I am overthinking? Not sure, but the spots have me worried along with the flashing.
It could have flukes as well, flashing is definitive for some sort of skin irritation.
I’m not sure how you made the catch and transfer with the fish trap, but fish frequently get banged up dashing against the sides when you lift the trap.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have flukes as well, flashing is definitive for some sort of skin irritation.
I’m not sure how you made the catch and transfer with the fish trap, but fish frequently get banged up dashing against the sides when you lift the trap.
Jay
Forsure could've been dashing around within the trap he wasnt happy I felt really bad but just want to help. What is my best course of action here?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the white spots just be debris? It looks like there is some white debris at the bottom of your qt. My scopas likes to lay flat as it darts under a rock with low clearance, and will occasionally come up with debris. Maybe the same thing is happening here?

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the white spots just be debris? It looks like there is some white debris at the bottom of your qt. My scopas likes to lay flat as it darts under a rock with low clearance, and will occasionally come up with debris. Maybe the same thing is happening here?
Could be, I have a small powerhead in there wouldn't the debris fall off when he swam through the power head?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forsure could've been dashing around within the trap he wasnt happy I felt really bad but just want to help. What is my best course of action here?
I think finishing the Neoplex treatment first - should be 7 days. Then, if the lesion looks better, consider following that with two Prazipro treatments for flukes, with good aeration, 8 days apart. Here is a thought though - why not do the prazi in your DT, after you put the scopas back? That way, the bicolor at least gets treated for flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think finishing the Neoplex treatment first - should be 7 days. Then, if the lesion looks better, consider following that with two Prazipro treatments for flukes, with good aeration, 8 days apart. Here is a thought though - why not do the prazi in your DT, after you put the scopas back? That way, the bicolor at least gets treated for flukes.
Jay
I would be okay with doing it in the display tank. Does prazi bother any biological bacteria in the display? Also would it be bad for invertebrates? Basically what I'm trying to get at is does prazi have any side affects to using in the DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There's little ammonia within the tank 0 nitrate upon measuring feeding New life spectrum pellets which he absolutely goes crazy for. Eats nori from time to time he hasnt ever been wild about eating it though. Are you able to see the dots near the rear fin? very small almost shimmer in the light as well.

IMG_0572.jpg
Nt seeing much other than scrapes and dot on dorsal. Is pellets and Nori all youre feeding it ?

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nt seeing much other than scrapes and dot on dorsal. Is pellets and Nori all youre feeding it ?
atm yes thats all im feeding I tried mysis and brine but he seems to not like it for whatever reason and hes very picky as to when he wants nori. Pellets is all hes crazy for from what ive found so far

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
atm yes thats all im feeding I tried mysis and brine but he seems to not like it for whatever reason and hes very picky as to when he wants nori. Pellets is all hes crazy for from what ive found so far
Not enough for its requirements. Try LRS fish frenzy or herbivore diet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be okay with doing it in the display tank. Does prazi bother any biological bacteria in the display? Also would it be bad for invertebrates? Basically what I'm trying to get at is does prazi have any side affects to using in the DT.

Prazipro is well tolerated by invertebrates and fish. Some people say that feather duster worms may be affected, but I've never seen that myself. You DO need to increase the aeration in the tank during treatment. I add an air stone to the main part of the tank and run the skimmer without the collection cup on it.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like I can’t get my hands on any LRS product for under $50 I’d have to look around LFS to see if maybe any of them have it? Is there another great option?
Yikes…. I pay $19 for a 10oz package

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I can’t get my hands on any LRS product for under $50 I’d have to look around LFS to see if maybe any of them have it? Is there another great option?
Live clams or mussels from the grocery store, chopped up into chunks. Try a few, they are messy but excellent nutrients

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Quick update sorry if I am bugging you guys D: all the spots that I was worried about the other day have vanished and he looks good. I think the infection definitely has stopped spreading but I'm not sure how much better its looking? Sunday will be 2nd dose of the neoplex but i finally got a really good picture of it so thought id share.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Quick update sorry if I am bugging you guys D: all the spots that I was worried about the other day have vanished and he looks good. I think the infection definitely has stopped spreading but I'm not sure how much better its looking? Sunday will be 2nd dose of the neoplex but i finally got a really good picture of it so thought id share.
Very nice and extend treatment until it is assured Gone !!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back