Blemish on Scopas tang

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All I made a post the other day with a picture showing a brown spot on my scopas tang and watched it for about a week. It definitely has increased in size and as I stated in the post water parameters are good the tang is eating well whether its nori, mysis, or pellets. Tang is a little shy when someone is close to the glass but warms up and continues swimming around again. He isn't flashing at all looks to me acting completely normal but I cant put my finger on what this is or how to help or even if I need to impede. I'm gonna post a few new pictures I got. Again, I am sorry pictures arent perfect he is extremely hard to get a picture of. Also to note on the really focused picture of him it looks like some dots on him but that's just the glass! Only blemish on the fish is the brown coloring. Thank you in advanced.

IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0543.jpg IMG_0540.jpg IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0537.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All I made a post the other day with a picture showing a brown spot on my scopas tang and watched it for about a week. It definitely has increased in size and as I stated in the post water parameters are good the tang is eating well whether its nori, mysis, or pellets. Tang is a little shy when someone is close to the glass but warms up and continues swimming around again. He isn't flashing at all looks to me acting completely normal but I cant put my finger on what this is or how to help or even if I need to impede. I'm gonna post a few new pictures I got. Again, I am sorry pictures arent perfect he is extremely hard to get a picture of. Also to note on the really focused picture of him it looks like some dots on him but that's just the glass! Only blemish on the fish is the brown coloring. Thank you in advanced.

Thank you for update. This has developed into a bacterial infection which was mentioned may happen. Treatment in quarantine will be seachen neoplex. If no neoplex, then Kanaplex. Monitor ammonia level during treatment and add aeration via air stone during treatment also

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for update. This has developed into a bacterial infection which was mentioned may happen. Treatment in quarantine will be seachen neoplex. If no neoplex, then Kanaplex. Monitor ammonia level during treatment and add aeration via air stone during treatment also
Am I able to Dose into DT? He's gonna be quite hard to get out of the DT. Unfortuntely also have a fish coming tomorrow which I was planning to put it in the QT tank. What would be your course of action? Also, I'm going to have to order the Kanaplex would metroplex work I have some on hand already.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does look marginally larger but is still superficial - not deep seated. If no new blemishes have started up, this is probably a bacterial infection. @vetteguy53081 has the treatment outlined for you, but just to reenforce, that needs to be done in a treatment tank.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Am I able to Dose into DT? He's gonna be quite hard to get out of the DT. Unfortuntely also have a fish coming tomorrow which I was planning to put it in the QT tank. What would be your course of action? Also, I'm going to have to order the Kanaplex would metroplex work I have some on hand already.
As jay mentioned, quarantine treatment is best.
Although noy t the best course of action, you can try ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe but seachem product will be more effective

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As jay mentioned, quarantine treatment is best.
Although noy t the best course of action, you can try ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe but seachem product will be more effective
Just worried about the fact that I will have a fish that is arriving tomorrow in QT. So the new fish would have to be in same QT as the scopas tang since I only have 1 QT. Is it okay to have the new fish being dosed with it as well? I have been trying to do some reading and since the infection is currently light will some sort of dip work? Sorry for all the questions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried about the fact that I will have a fish that is arriving tomorrow in QT. So the new fish would have to be in same QT as the scopas tang since I only have 1 QT. Is it okay to have the new fish being dosed with it as well? I have been trying to do some reading and since the infection is currently light will some sort of dip work? Sorry for all the questions.
Dips are tricky because of the stress of catching the fish every day. If you want to try that route, try doubling the antibiotic dose for 3 hours a day with good aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 FINALLY got the scopas out of the tank it was a real pain used a acrylic fish trap and some food did the first dose of neoplex today hoping to see some improvement quick! He still is doing great just has the marks still. Unfortunately I could not stop my order on the BI color angel so I had to just take it in and risk putting him straight into the display :( I hope it's not gonna have issues or introduce something bad into the tank but its been 3 days and I havent seen him eat I think I really messed up on this one.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 FINALLY got the scopas out of the tank it was a real pain used a acrylic fish trap and some food did the first dose of neoplex today hoping to see some improvement quick! He still is doing great just has the marks still. Unfortunately I could not stop my order on the BI color angel so I had to just take it in and risk putting him straight into the display :( I hope it's not gonna have issues or introduce something bad into the tank but its been 3 days and I havent seen him eat I think I really messed up on this one.
Scopas are bashful feeders at first but it should be grazing on glass and rocks.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated and proper acclimation givem. Bi-Color while pretty can be finicky and difficult to feed .

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scopas are bashful feeders at first but it should be grazing on glass and rocks.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated and proper acclimation givem. Bi-Color while pretty can be finicky and difficult to feed .
Scopas eats like a champ whatever I try and feed he's on it. I was talking about the bi color awesome fish but for the life of me whatever I try he wont eat. I wish I could've stopped the order but nothin I can do now but hope.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Scopas eats like a champ whatever I try and feed he's on it. I was talking about the bi color awesome fish but for the life of me whatever I try he wont eat. I wish I could've stopped the order but nothin I can do now but hope.
Yes, bi color not an easy feeder

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Little update
Scopas infection seems to already be clearing up with 3 days in quarantine with the neoplex. I do see some small grain like spots on what i believe is the pelvic fins. Little worried it could be velvet or ich but I am completely stumped as where that would even come from since there has not been other fish in that quarantine.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Little update
Scopas infection seems to already be clearing up with 3 days in quarantine with the neoplex. I do see some small grain like spots on what i believe is the pelvic fins. Little worried it could be velvet or ich but I am completely stumped as where that would even come from since there has not been other fish in that quarantine.
Please post pics under white lighting of area of concern
Glad to hear progress occuring

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics under white lighting of area of concern
Glad to hear progress occuring
The white spot on the infection was the bi color in display tank nipping at the infection not sure why that was happening but there separate now. The little fuzz looking like dots on the back of the tail and ontop are very very hard to see but I tried my best.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The white spot on the infection was the bi color in display tank nipping at the infection not sure why that was happening but there separate now. The little fuzz looking like dots on the back of the tail and ontop are very very hard to see but I tried my best.
I see a white spot on the upper dorsal which is lymphocystis and often triggered by water quality issue such as elevated ammonia or nitrate and inadequate diet

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a white spot on the upper dorsal which is lymphocystis and often triggered by water quality issue such as elevated ammonia or nitrate and inadequate diet
There's little ammonia within the tank 0 nitrate upon measuring feeding New life spectrum pellets which he absolutely goes crazy for. Eats nori from time to time he hasnt ever been wild about eating it though. Are you able to see the dots near the rear fin? very small almost shimmer in the light as well.

IMG_0572.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could that just be scrapes/blemishes from moving it to the QT? I don’t see definitive ich here, but it doesn’t always show well in pictures, at least early on.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could that just be scrapes/blemishes from moving it to the QT? I don’t see definitive ich here, but it doesn’t always show well in pictures, at least early on.
Jay
I sort of thought scrapes would be impossible since I did not net the fish to move it to quarantine I used a fish trap so the fish was less stressed than chasing it with a net. What concerns me is the tang is flashing a bit. Maybe because of the infection and I am overthinking? Not sure, but the spots have me worried along with the flashing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back