ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I got a QT'd midas blenny that I had in an acclimation box overnight and none of my fish paid attention to it. This morning, I released it into the tank before the lights went off and my starry blenny is going after it. The starry blenny is significantly larger than the midas blenny and my aquarium is a 200 gallon, 6' long tank. Technically there should be enough space or the two of them...

Should I be hopeful that they're resolve their dispute, or are they just gonna keep fighting because of similar body types? None of the other fish care that it's in the tank

Here's my stock list of all the fish in my tank:
-Ocellaris clownfish (2)
-Royal gramma
-Solon fairy wrasse
-Green mandarin
-White Tail Bristletooth Tang
-Tomini Tang

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I got a QT'd midas blenny that I had in an acclimation box overnight and none of my fish paid attention to it. This morning, I released it into the tank before the lights went off and my starry blenny is going after it. The starry blenny is significantly larger than the midas blenny and my aquarium is a 200 gallon, 6' long tank. Technically there should be enough space or the two of them...

Should I be hopeful that they're resolve their dispute, or are they just gonna keep fighting because of similar body types? None of the other fish care that it's in the tank

-Ocellaris clownfish (2)
-Royal gramma
-Solon fairy wrasse
-Green mandarin
-Tomini Tang
I’ve always heard that blennies don’t get along with each other, but your tank is huge, so it seems there’s enough room. I’d keep an eye on the two of them and take out the Midas if the aggression continues. I hope it calms down, because Midas Blennies are adorable.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Ocellaris clownfish (2)
-Royal gramma
-Solon fairy wrasse
-Green mandarin
-Tomini Tang
It’s not necessarily the same body shape but more the same behaviour that is the issue with most blennies. Salarias and Escenius are very similar in terms of behaviour. The aggression may calm down but it may not.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the starry chasing the midas to all corners of the tank? Or is the midas sticking a particular area where the starry is? If it's the latter, I'd be optimistic things could settle down as the midas learns to explore the tank a bit and finds its own little spot. But if the starry is chasing it all over the place, I'd be a little concerned that starry may not relent.

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the starry chasing the midas to all corners of the tank? Or is the midas sticking a particular area where the starry is? If it's the latter, I'd be optimistic things could settle down as the midas learns to explore the tank a bit and finds its own little spot. But if the starry is chasing it all over the place, I'd be a little concerned that starry may not relent.
any time the midas would land on a rock, the starry would see it and chase it away. The midas is currently hanging out in the upper corner of the tank at the surface. There's plenty of oxygen in the tank since it's the only one hanging out at the surface too.

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and just now, the starry will launch itself at the midas even if it doesn't land on the rocks...thank god I have a lid on the tank cause the midas tried to jump out several times now

Back