Blenny love

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a short post to declare love for all the goofy blennies :)

This afternoon I took a work break to do a water change, and in the process knocked over one of the little rocks that was supporting my TSB, Marvin's, barnacle home. Had to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how the rock had been placed and get it and the barnacles back where they belonged. Through it all Marv stayed in his home, peeking out a bit as I was moving the barnacles around. When I was done he popped out to check the entire area and make sure all was as it should be -- he's very particular about his home, and will often push snails and hermits off the rocks when they get too close.

Today is the day I realized that if I ever need to get Marvin out of the tank for whatever reason, all I have to do is grab the barnacles when he's in there and move them out.

This is a photo of Marvin, though not a photo from today -- its from back when his home was still very brand new.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.29.07 PM.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think i need buy some empty barnacle shells and epoxy them on rockwork as looks good and look even better if obe or both my 2 blennies live in them ^_^

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think i need buy some empty barnacle shells and epoxy them on rockwork as looks good and look even better if obe or both my 2 blennies live in them ^_^
He took to them immediately. Like I didn't even have them fully placed before he was in them lol. They now blend into the rocks a lot more and are covered in coralline -- they didn't look that clean for long. But I am def happy I added them, and think seeing two blennies peeking out from them would be really funny.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a short post to declare love for all the goofy blennies :)

This afternoon I took a work break to do a water change, and in the process knocked over one of the little rocks that was supporting my TSB, Marvin's, barnacle home. Had to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how the rock had been placed and get it and the barnacles back where they belonged. Through it all Marv stayed in his home, peeking out a bit as I was moving the barnacles around. When I was done he popped out to check the entire area and make sure all was as it should be -- he's very particular about his home, and will often push snails and hermits off the rocks when they get too close.

Today is the day I realized that if I ever need to get Marvin out of the tank for whatever reason, all I have to do is grab the barnacles when he's in there and move them out.

This is a photo of Marvin, though not a photo from today -- its from back when his home was still very brand new.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.29.07 PM.png
Those barnacle huts are cool! Wish I had those.

During recent tank transfer, my bicolor blenny was freaked out and could never get him out of favorite hole in the live rock.

Had to move that rock with him in it,,, twice.
Extraction via barnacle hut would've been way better. Oh well...

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot used to love those barnacle clusters too!
20210607_125051.jpg

Barnacle clusters are just great. They look awesome once algae starts growing on it and lots of fish seek shelter in it. I've had wrasses, damsels, chromis and a royal gramma use them! I even placed a few spare clusters I had laying around behind the rockwork, out of sight.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back