Blenny With Massive Belly - Help?

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I have a bi-color blenny who has been in my tank about 1.5 years and has always done well. He eats well--film algae off glass, nori sheets, and some frozen mysis. This morning, I woke up and saw him with this massive belly, and some pressure that seems to be pushing his bladder or something (see rose-colored "knob" protruding from his underside in photos) a bit much.

I've ready a number of threads on here that say it could be anything from getting too much air from nipping at things near the surface, to blockage in digestion, to an infection.

There may be nothing much to do at this stage, but since it happened overnight, i'm inclined to think it's not infection (thought is that would be a gradual development), but curious if any folks on here have any more-specific thoughts or recos?

He's still swimming fine--at least for a mini blimp--and resting on rocks here and there.

IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1962.jpg

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have a female and it is egg bound? you may not have noticed her belly earlier and that's why it seems to happen overnight.

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you have a female and it is egg bound? you may not have noticed her belly earlier and that's why it seems to happen overnight.
I've only had the one blenny for over a year, so I doubt it's pregnant. Wouldn't fight it if it was the marine version of the immaculate conception. haha.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has even bigger stomach then that! Had her for 2 years.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a little bigger than that, and he seemed to do fine, I just thought he was more hardy than our other one lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Infections can show up 'overnight' - (so can any of the other causes). Since its been going on a while - I would put infection lower (a swim-bladder infection would cause other symptoms as well, etc).

If you don't see the fish nipping at the surface, swallowing air is not likely

Female fish can have eggs even without a male, and they can become 'egg bound' - i.e. full of eggs.

Blennies lifespan is about 3 years or so in an aquarium - so another cause could be some internal process causing fluid build-up, etc thats suddenly worsened. I.e. it could be 'old age'

I guess the most likely diagnosis would be something relating to the food (constipation) you're using - However, you're already using miss (which can help 'constipation' issues - are you aware whether it is eating this (i.e. a good amount of it)?

PS - regarding the speed of onset, it's actually pretty common if something is building up slowly not to notice it until it gets to a certain level and then all the sudden it's 'noticed'. As far as recommendations - since I noticed in your most recent post that its not eating, you could consider placing the fish in a hospital tank and treating with General Cure, in case its a parasitic issue, however you could also watch for other symptoms, issues. Did you happen to add anything else to the tank?

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Infections can show up 'overnight' - (so can any of the other causes). Since its been going on a while - I would put infection lower (a swim-bladder infection would cause other symptoms as well, etc).

If you don't see the fish nipping at the surface, swallowing air is not likely

Female fish can have eggs even without a male, and they can become 'egg bound' - i.e. full of eggs.

Blennies lifespan is about 3 years or so in an aquarium - so another cause could be some internal process causing fluid build-up, etc thats suddenly worsened. I.e. it could be 'old age'

I guess the most likely diagnosis would be something relating to the food (constipation) you're using - However, you're already using miss (which can help 'constipation' issues - are you aware whether it is eating this (i.e. a good amount of it)?

PS - regarding the speed of onset, it's actually pretty common if something is building up slowly not to notice it until it gets to a certain level and then all the sudden it's 'noticed'. As far as recommendations - since I noticed in your most recent post that its not eating, you could consider placing the fish in a hospital tank and treating with General Cure, in case its a parasitic issue, however you could also watch for other symptoms, issues. Did you happen to add anything else to the tank?
Thanks for all your feedback and thoughts!

Re: Food -- It definitely eats a good amount of the frozen mysis when I feed it, but haven't noticed it eating it more of it than usual. I'll try the old pea supplement and maybe that helps the constipation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a bi-color blenny who has been in my tank about 1.5 years and has always done well. He eats well--film algae off glass, nori sheets, and some frozen mysis. This morning, I woke up and saw him with this massive belly, and some pressure that seems to be pushing his bladder or something (see rose-colored "knob" protruding from his underside in photos) a bit much.

I've ready a number of threads on here that say it could be anything from getting too much air from nipping at things near the surface, to blockage in digestion, to an infection.

There may be nothing much to do at this stage, but since it happened overnight, i'm inclined to think it's not infection (thought is that would be a gradual development), but curious if any folks on here have any more-specific thoughts or recos?

He's still swimming fine--at least for a mini blimp--and resting on rocks here and there.

IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1962.jpg

Swollen bellies in fish can come from a variety of causes. Here is what I think, in roughly descending order of likely hood:

Constipation
Egg binding (females unable to lay their eggs)
Over eating (my personal issue)
Ascites - fluid in the abdomen due to liver/kidney failure
Edema - fluid build up in the all of the fish's tissues (unlikely in this case as the rest of the fish isn't bloated)

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all your feedback and thoughts!

Re: Food -- It definitely eats a good amount of the frozen mysis when I feed it, but haven't noticed it eating it more of it than usual. I'll try the old pea supplement and maybe that helps the constipation.
Mysis tends to improve constipation - as compared to pellets, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis tends to improve constipation - as compared to pellets, etc.

My understanding was that this fish was also eating nori and algae, and those items are even better than mysis for reducing constipation.....

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any experience with peas in saltwater - but did find this quote from another thread:
Peas is an old method for freshwater goldfish and wont do much. If it uprights itself and improves (fingers crossed)- Brine shrimp would be good

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,

IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1962.jpg
Blennies should have a nice round belly and may be overeating as they require meats, calcium (why they gnaw on rock), detritus and small crustaceans. Other reasons given by Jay

Aumick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish/bird can be egg bound. They develop eggs no matter if they have a mate. They will still produce eggs. And are more likely to be egg bound without a mate. Not saying this is the case. But It would be my opinion that if this is the first time. It might not even be egg bound. She might not have layed them yet.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back