Blenny

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a Blenny to help with hair algae control, there’s nothing wrong with my parameters and I can’t figure out the problem. I do admit I have my lights on a bit to long, but I’ll fix that... I did have a hector’s Goby that passed from starvation I suspect. It ran out of pods but it did eat all of my hair algae and kept it completely under control. I would like your opinions on this list of fish and which one would be the most optimal. I will be confirming whether these fish eat mysis as well before I purchase them...

Lawnmower Blenny

Tailspot Blenny

Bicolor Blenny

Ember Blenny

Orange Spot Blenny

Linear Blenny

Starry Blenny

Horse face Blenny

Any other good suggestions?

My urchin won’t touch this crap and neither do my snails. I’ll definitely end up getting another hector/rainford goby if I can get it to eat mysis. Thank you in advance!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a Blenny to help with hair algae control, there’s nothing wrong with my parameters and I can’t figure out the problem. I do admit I have my lights on a bit to long, but I’ll fix that... I did have a hector’s Goby that passed from starvation I suspect. It ran out of pods but it did eat all of my hair algae and kept it completely under control. I would like your opinions on this list of fish and which one would be the most optimal. I will be confirming whether these fish eat mysis as well before I purchase them...

Lawnmower Blenny

Tailspot Blenny

Bicolor Blenny

Ember Blenny

Orange Spot Blenny

Linear Blenny

Starry Blenny

Horse face Blenny

Any other good suggestions?

My urchin won’t touch this crap and neither do my snails. I’ll definitely end up getting another hector/rainford goby if I can get it to eat mysis. Thank you in advance!
Your parameters might look fine because the hair algae is consuming the nitrates and phosphates. I agree on cutting back on the lights. Is it possible you’re overfeeding?

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters might look fine because the hair algae is consuming the nitrates and phosphates. I agree on cutting back on the lights. Is it possible you’re overfeeding?
I’ve been cutting back on the feeding as well, the algae isn’t Super bad, it’s just scattered around the tank and on some of my frags.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here’s my current plan... I’m going to get the Blenny to help clean up my frags and such, Ill make sure it eats prepared foods. Then While the Blenny is at least helping get rid of most of it I will try to find out what the problem is (cut down light time, less feeding, etc.) Once I believe the problem is fixed I’ll just move him up to a larger tank where he can stay. I’ll make sure to get him small when I buy him so he won’t be cramped for the time being.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's all about efficient nutrient export that out competes the nuisance algae. A blenny may help a little, but you're better off getting snails and/or hermits to do the job. Also, the fish will produce more waste than snails, which will be counterproductive.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would establish if you have hair algae or bryopsis. IME a blenny won't touch bryopsis unless it is very hungry. Can you post a picture of your algae?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than your algae problems, I know Starry Blennies are more likely to eat prepared foods than Lawnmower. Either a lawnmower or starry have the highest chances of helping control algae. To be honest, they probably aren't going to 100% do the trick, but they're cool fish to have anyway.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for a tailspot. Most of the hair algae is gone, I think I fixed the problem. Hopefully this goes well. I would like to mention that I have bioload for this fish too and a couple of my friends wanted me to get one. I hope he picks the stuff on top of the sand.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some odd aggression going on, I expected the angel to be nippy with the Blenny, but he only chased him one time when he was introduced. It’s odd cause the Blenny is chasing the angel and not the other way around. I’m hoping the aggression will die down, and I’m sure it will cause it hasn’t gotten to bad yet and the Blenny most likely couldn’t Harrass and angel to death.

tjp123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny that's the biggest bully in my otherwise peaceful tank. Terrorizes my blue green chromis and watchman goby from time to time. And he hasn't done a very good job "lawnmowing" my hair algae. He nibbles a bit, but not a big impact. I might need to bring in a kole tang to get the job done.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back