Bloated valentini puffer

boo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed my valentini puffer wasn’t being his normal outgoing active self. He looks super bloated or fat. He is normally a happy guy swimming all over begging for food. We’ve had him a month. I’ve checked water everything looks great. Went ahead and did a water change to be safe. No other fish bother him.
he eats all kinds of foods, clams squid, shrimp will eat pellets that sink. We feed him daily.
yesterday we was kinda staying in one place and staying close to his rock. I was told he could be backed up and to try some seaweed. I got him some but not sure he’s eating it.
this morning he refuses to get out of his bed. He’s still sleeping in his rock. Sorry for the bad pic of him sleeping he’s of course behind the rock.
bloated pics are from yesterday.
Any ideas of suggestions to help this little guy? Or maybe I’ve done something wrong. Please help! Thanks!

9D6D558B-7B0B-4F74-AC22-94BECDF870D8.jpeg CAD8B332-EF6E-4FAA-9E66-CFAFA628C5BE.jpeg 22295625-1E0F-40F9-B3F5-B4BD3992BDD2.jpeg 361B8E38-DA4D-44AB-B5C5-F2B279EA0710.jpeg

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen to one of my pufferfish in the past. It seemed like mine was constipated and he looks a lot like yours did. After about the course of a week he started to change back to normal.

OP
OP
boo2004

boo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen to one of my pufferfish in the past. It seemed like mine was constipated and he looks a lot like yours did. After about the course of a week he started to change back to normal.
Thank you I hope that’s the case for mine. He’s got such a personality.
Any idea why they are called puffers?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either-
Puffed

very full

Constipated yes, especially if it ate a snail or other shelled food source.

Ammonia poisoning. ( these guys are sensitive to higher ammonia) A simple water change will sometimes reverse this)
Ammonia higher than .04 is a sign that it may be water.

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m glad I found this thread. I’m currently going through the same problem with my Valentini. He eats EVERYTHING!!! The flakes for the clowns, mysis, clams, algae tabs for the kole tang. He is a swimming garbage disposal. I noticed the last few days he’s been getting round and fat. Today he’s perched on his rock and hardly swimming around. Water perimeters are all perfect so I was wondering if he’s backed up. What was the outcome with your little dude?

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what ended up happening with your guys because I just came back from vacation and I think I am now in the same predicament

acyount16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue right now with my puffer. Does anyone have resolution or advice to share to get them through this?

acyount16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m glad I found this thread. I’m currently going through the same problem with my Valentini. He eats EVERYTHING!!! The flakes for the clowns, mysis, clams, algae tabs for the kole tang. He is a swimming garbage disposal. I noticed the last few days he’s been getting round and fat. Today he’s perched on his rock and hardly swimming around. Water perimeters are all perfect so I was wondering if he’s backed up. What was the outcome with your little dude?

Hey there! What happened with this? Were you able to do anything to help him out?

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed my valentini puffer wasn’t being his normal outgoing active self. He looks super bloated or fat. He is normally a happy guy swimming all over begging for food. We’ve had him a month. I’ve checked water everything looks great. Went ahead and did a water change to be safe. No other fish bother him.
he eats all kinds of foods, clams squid, shrimp will eat pellets that sink. We feed him daily.
yesterday we was kinda staying in one place and staying close to his rock. I was told he could be backed up and to try some seaweed. I got him some but not sure he’s eating it.
this morning he refuses to get out of his bed. He’s still sleeping in his rock. Sorry for the bad pic of him sleeping he’s of course behind the rock.
bloated pics are from yesterday.
Any ideas of suggestions to help this little guy? Or maybe I’ve done something wrong. Please help! Thanks!

9D6D558B-7B0B-4F74-AC22-94BECDF870D8.jpeg CAD8B332-EF6E-4FAA-9E66-CFAFA628C5BE.jpeg 22295625-1E0F-40F9-B3F5-B4BD3992BDD2.jpeg 361B8E38-DA4D-44AB-B5C5-F2B279EA0710.jpeg
Hi, so mine seems to be going through the same thing his belly is pretty big and he’s not really swimming around a lot like he normally does and I tried giving him some food and he hasn’t eaten, He ate yesterday just fine. But did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back