Scopas tang
Recently added yellow and gem last Wednesday
75 gallon
Salinity is 1025
temperature 79
Ammonia 0
nitrate 20
Phosphate 0.03
Gem tang refuses to eat since first day tell now almost 6days other fish looks fine except blue tang

While that is a lot of fish for a 75 gallon tank, that isn't the cause of the issue here. The water quality is acceptable and the fish do not look like they are fighting. Long term, there will be an issue, but not for the short term.

The gem not eating since day one, while the other fish are eating well in the tank tells me that it came in with some problem. The scratching usually indicates flukes, but those do not cause a fish to stop eating, so there may be multiple issues with that fish.

For flukes, you can treat with prazipro, dosed twice, eight days apart with good aeration. This is safe for invertebrates.

I'm also worried that ich is going to start up in this tank and that you won't be able to control it because there are invertebrates in the tank was well. Ich is best controlled by coppersafe or hyposalinity, but neither of those can be done with invertebrates present. If the only two inverts you have is the shrimp and the starfish, it would be best to move those to their own tank and treat the whole main tank with hyposalinity.

Jay

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also worried that ich is going to start up in this tank and that you won't be able to control it because there are invertebrates in the tank was well. Ich is best controlled by coppersafe or hyposalinity, but neither of those can be done with invertebrates present. If the only two inverts you have is the shrimp and the starfish, it would be best to move those to their own tank and treat the whole main tank with hyposalinity.

Jay
There are a few corals in OP's tank which will also need to be removed for this purpose.

OP
OP
S

Samwilliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is a lot of fish for a 75 gallon tank, that isn't the cause of the issue here. The water quality is acceptable and the fish do not look like they are fighting. Long term, there will be an issue, but not for the short term.

The gem not eating since day one, while the other fish are eating well in the tank tells me that it came in with some problem. The scratching usually indicates flukes, but those do not cause a fish to stop eating, so there may be multiple issues with that fish.

For flukes, you can treat with prazipro, dosed twice, eight days apart with good aeration. This is safe for invertebrates.

Jay
I will try to do that, anyway the starfish was stuck between the rocks and died.

JohnnyH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that many tangs in 75 gallons? Amazing that they did not kill each other before ich !!!
I really do want to see the picture of the whole tank as well.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take this as piling on, but perhaps step back and do some research which is readily available these days before adding things in next time. While fish and coral are pretty and there is a tendency to want to add and add and add, it almost always comes back to bite you. Been there ... done that (20 years ago). Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Samwilliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that many tangs in 75 gallons? Amazing that they did not kill each other before ich !!!
I really do want to see the picture of the whole tank as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.png
    IMG_0609.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of open space in that tank. The tangs are fine in that space until they grow larger.

Jay

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I recall you writing an article regarding the use of peroxide to test it's effectiveness for managing (I can't recall now if it was for management or eradication at the moment as it was a while back I read it). I used it years ago to buy me some time for treatment and it seemed effective when used in low doses. Given how stocked OPs tank is with tangs, would you think it might help until OP is able to treat them all? I'm unsure what his circumstances are regarding his plan to treat all the fish and apologize if it was mentioned previously, but I'm unsure if many people have the space to treat that many fish with copper in hospital tanks and go fallow. I did see you recommended hyposalinity, however.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I recall you writing an article regarding the use of peroxide to test it's effectiveness for managing (I can't recall now if it was for management or eradication at the moment as it was a while back I read it). I used it years ago to buy me some time for treatment and it seemed effective when used in low doses. Given how stocked OPs tank is with tangs, would you think it might help until OP is able to treat them all? I'm unsure what his circumstances are regarding his plan to treat all the fish and apologize if it was mentioned previously, but I'm unsure if many people have the space to treat that many fish with copper in hospital tanks and go fallow. I did see you recommended hyposalinity, however.
Using peroxide in a display tank really needs to involve using a dip and read test strip for residual peroxide - otherwise, you can’t get the dose right. Also, the peroxide level needed to kill protozoans is higher than the level fish can really tolerate as a long term bath, so it really is best used as a short term dip, then move to a fresh tank.
Jay

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using peroxide in a display tank really needs to involve using a dip and read test strip for residual peroxide - otherwise, you can’t get the dose right. Also, the peroxide level needed to kill protozoans is higher than the level fish can really tolerate as a long term bath, so it really is best used as a short term dip, then move to a fresh tank.
Jay
I see...in my case it was almost certainly velvet so I tried dosing a small amount to the display to buy time since velvet is such a fast killer. Again, it's been a while since I read about your study so I didn't recall your methodology precisely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back