Bloo's 13.5 Nano Reef

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

My name is Angel and I started my first saltwater tank about 12 years ago. 6 or so years ago I completely dropped out of the hobby after a tank crash due to a heater breaking and I just never started my tank back up after giving everything that was still alive away.

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago I took my girlfriend into a LFS and to my surprise she wanted to buy the entire store. I had always planned to get into the hobby again but didn't expect the support or drive from her to do so. To be fair she is the most supportive person I have ever been with and always pushes me to do the things I love so I guess I should have expected it.

6 weeks later (Today) he have the start of a little mixed reef and I figured I would bring anyone who is interested along for the journey.

●Current tank specs:
●Fluval 13.5 Evo Reef
●Sicce syncra 1.0 return pump
●Jebao SW-2 (soon to be upgraded to something I can get some longevity out of)
●Eheim Jager TruTemp 100w (Also soon to be upgraded for better control)
●AI Prime 16HD Reef
●Reef Breeders Prism ATO
●MarinePure Media Gems
● Marco Rock
●Aragalive sand

Livestock:
●2 clowns
●Royal Gramma
● Few random snails and hermits

I plan to keep filtration super simple filter floss for now and carbon once I have enough corals to warrant broadcast feeding the tank. Will also be doing 5 gallon water change once a week.

The attached photos are over the last month day 1 through today. Tank has had water in it for roughly 30 days.

Day 1
20220113_201807.jpg
Day 10. Cycle complete, clowns added and rescued a Duncan from a tank with no lights.
20220125_194236.jpg
Day 15 my girlfriend and her daughter brought home a frospawn, entrusting Monti, some tiny Zoas and a riccordia Florida.
20220128_184924.jpg 20220128_184906.jpg 20220128_184913.jpg 20220128_183945.jpg
Day 25 Royal Gramma came home and so did the start of our euphyllia garden. Gold branching hammer and a couple wall hammers.
20220201_105428.jpg
20220201_132023.jpg

Will do my best to post weekly updates and as livestock is added.

OP
OP
Blooish

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I also have the fluval 13.5 for about 6 months now the stock light is junk I switched to the 15"fluval sea Bluetooth just for the consistency with light schedule here's what we have so far.

20220202_211225.jpg
Love the rock work and I couldn't agree with you more on the stock light. I had the upgraded light ordered before water even touched the tank haha.

OP
OP
Blooish

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching Evo's come together, so I can steal ideas for mine.
Looks like a great start!
Thank you. I didn't realize how much I missed the hobby and the Evo is such a fun start back into it. I plan to buy a bunch of Marco Rock and smash it all up to really go crazy with the rock work once it's a few months old and im running out of room.

OP
OP
Blooish

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day today and a rookie mistake I knew I shouldn't have made. I always quarantine fish having worked in a shop for a couple years and decided to not since I was setting up such a small tank and it was only a few fish... excuses I will never use again. It wasn't a cost thing but an excited thing and by doing so we lost 2 fish this morning to velvet. Seems the royal gramma came in with it. He and one of the clowns did not make it. The second clown has it but is a lone ranger. Will be setting up a hospital/qt tank tomorrow. Sad update but a great learning experience for me and my girl.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day today and a rookie mistake I knew I shouldn't have made. I always quarantine fish having worked in a shop for a couple years and decided to not since I was setting up such a small tank and it was only a few fish... excuses I will never use again. It wasn't a cost thing but an excited thing and by doing so we lost 2 fish this morning to velvet. Seems the royal gramma came in with it. He and one of the clowns did not make it. The second clown has it but is a lone ranger. Will be setting up a hospital/qt tank tomorrow. Sad update but a great learning experience for me and my girl.
Sorry to hear.
Learned that one the hard way too, but as you mentioned, the best learning experiences come from mistakes.

OP
OP
Blooish

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
Learned that one the hard way too, but as you mentioned, the best learning experiences come from mistakes.
Thank you. Its especially rough when I know better and the kids come home to missing fish. Moving forward It will not be a mistake made again.

OP
OP
Blooish

Blooish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update. QT tank will be coming soon as we have lost all our fish to ich/velvet. So no fish for a couple months in the display but the corals are doing fantastic. Finally dialed in some decent mag and alk parameters and started doing much smaller water changes. Nothing seemed to care about where my levels were but that purple wall hammer was just not happy. He still is not 100% extended however looks so much better with smaller water changes. Also have removed all filtration outside of some filter floss for bigger particles.

On a side note had a huge bloom of pods to the point my water was almost cloudy from how many were swimming around. The happy phases of a new tank!!

Anyways here's a full tank shot and a blasto shot. The colony opened up to the size of a softball. 20220219_142121.jpg 20220219_142137.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back