Blotched Anthias & Copper?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am curious if anyone had experience with blotched anthias and copper. I just completed the de-worming stage of the quarantine process for a trio blotched anthias. The next step is the 6 week copper treatment, but know that some fish don't do well with copper. Please let me know if anyone had any negative experience with these fish and copper.

Thanks!
Attila

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, Anthias don't really appreciate copper but there really isn't a good alternative, as they also don't like hyposalinity. I've used Coppersafe on these with no issue. Copper Power would also probably work. I'd be a little leery of using Cupramine, it seems a bit harsher to me.

You know, many people here treat for metazoans (flukes and such) and THEN treat for protozoans with copper - but I don't know why. I feel very strongly that this needs to be done the other way around - protozoans like velvet and ich kill much faster than flukes do, and most fluke infestations don't even get ramped up until you've had the fish for 3 to 5 weeks. I always treat with copper first and then prazi for flukes.

Jay

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, Borbonius Anthias are very easy fish to keep. They are hardy, aggressive, and they eat just about anything. I had two in my previous tank for about 2 years and I QTed them in cupramine for 6 weeks without any issue. I sold them locally because they were getting very aggressive with my wrasses.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, Anthias don't really appreciate copper but there really isn't a good alternative, as they also don't like hyposalinity. I've used Coppersafe on these with no issue. Copper Power would also probably work. I'd be a little leery of using Cupramine, it seems a bit harsher to me.

You know, many people here treat for metazoans (flukes and such) and THEN treat for protozoans with copper - but I don't know why. I feel very strongly that this needs to be done the other way around - protozoans like velvet and ich kill much faster than flukes do, and most fluke infestations don't even get ramped up until you've had the fish for 3 to 5 weeks. I always treat with copper first and then prazi for flukes.

Jay
Thanks for the response, Jay. If the fish were not so expensive, I would follow my standard process of doing the 6 weeks in copper. I only use copper power as it has proven to work and also don't believe it is harsh on the fish. I did use Cupramine in the past, but found it to be harder on the fish - and seemed to lose more fish with this product vs copper power.

As for copper treatment prior to Prazi; I do agree with you that in theory doing the copper treatment first makes sense. However, because the copper treatment is 6 weeks and Prazi is 7 days, I figure I get that one first and perhaps that's the reasons others do the same. Furthermore, removing copper is tougher and takes more time then Prazi.

Attila

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, Borbonius Anthias are very easy fish to keep. They are hardy, aggressive, and they eat just about anything. I had two in my previous tank for about 2 years and I QTed them in cupramine for 6 weeks without any issue. I sold them locally because they were getting very aggressive with my wrasses.
Thanks! makes me feel better to know that they are hardier fish. I did not know about there aggression! Hopefully that will not be an issue. I will be putting them in my 210 FOWLR, so don't believe these guys will mess with most of the fish in that tank. I will use copper power for the standard 6 weeks.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always look into hybrid TTM method using H2O2.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, Jay. If the fish were not so expensive, I would follow my standard process of doing the 6 weeks in copper. I only use copper power as it has proven to work and also don't believe it is harsh on the fish. I did use Cupramine in the past, but found it to be harder on the fish - and seemed to lose more fish with this product vs copper power.

As for copper treatment prior to Prazi; I do agree with you that in theory doing the copper treatment first makes sense. However, because the copper treatment is 6 weeks and Prazi is 7 days, I figure I get that one first and perhaps that's the reasons others do the same. Furthermore, removing copper is tougher and takes more time then Prazi.

Attila
Oh, so when I treat with prazi, I dose 3x 7 to 10 days apart in order to deal with egg laying species like Neobenedenia. That takes to long, and protozoans can get a jump start if I did that first.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back