Blue Assessor.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a blue (more black) Assessor yesterday for a bargain £20 at my LFS, one is for sale for £55 here in the UK.
Not a great deal of information on them out there but I have kept one before some years ago. I will look to buy another to pair them.

Despite what information I have found suggesting they are shy secretive fish mine was out within minutes of introduction and has been out ever since. This little fish only disappearing when I approach the tank but it's soon back out again. He/she is about 2.1/2" tail to nose. The Blue certainly seems to be far less secretive than the yellow/gold Assessor from my experience with them.

No fish in the tank gave it a second look when introduced and that includes my pair of Royal grammas which I did wonder about. It's also eating everything I put in the tank but at the moment I am feeding the tank a lot of pods that I culture in my back garden.

The Blue Assessor isn't the most common of fish but we do see them here in the UK reasonably often. They are easy going fish and don't seem aggressive to any other of my fish which include a number of small damsels and the damsels not bothering it.

IMO, the Blue Assessor is an underrated little and easy to accommodate in anything from a nano to much larger tanks. Mine is in my 5x2x2 with a lot of small to medium sized fish.
I will try and get a photo of it to put up on this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to photos. I’m not sure about their social structure but I’d assume largest becomes the male, similar to other basslets.

How are your Flamebacks? Any updates on the harem?
The three flamebacks are doing great. No signs as yet of a spawning however. Great little fish and always busy picking at the rocks never at my corals.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a few pics but bits a difficult fish to get a good shot of. Always on the move and against a dark background most of the time. Depending on how the light hits it, it is either dark blue or black looking. I will try and get some better ones.
20210918_175339.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to photos. I’m not sure about their social structure but I’d assume largest becomes the male, similar to other basslets.

How are your Flamebacks? Any updates on the harem?
You can get glimpses of my flamebacks in my video here.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Nice tank I love the pairs and multiples. Are they all getting along well?
All getting along famously. The odd spat now and again but nothing serious. The yellow tang is top fish. I couldn't be happier with them all.

Back