Blue Caribbean tang aggression and behavior? Any experience?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting my stocking list built for my 120 gallon DT ready and I really want to add a Blue Caribbean Tang as it is one of my favorite fish, however not sure if it is a right move as it is a Acanthurus tang. I know alot of tangs from the Acanthurus species are on the aggressive side. Right now my stocking is looking like the Scopas Tang which mine is pretty timid and a Heniochus Butterfly. The Blue Caribbean Tang would be added a couple months after the Scopas and Heniochus. Has anyone got any experience with aggression and general behavior with the Blue Caribbean Tangs?

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with them…but don’t they get huuuge?

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty big tang for a 120, what are the dimensions of the current tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting my stocking list built for my 120 gallon DT ready and I really want to add a Blue Caribbean Tang as it is one of my favorite fish, however not sure if it is a right move as it is a Acanthurus tang. I know alot of tangs from the Acanthurus species are on the aggressive side. Right now my stocking is looking like the Scopas Tang which mine is pretty timid and a Heniochus Butterfly. The Blue Caribbean Tang would be added a couple months after the Scopas and Heniochus. Has anyone got any experience with aggression and general behavior with the Blue Caribbean Tangs?
Caribbean’s are nasty when established and you want to introduce new fish. As for their size, it’s not just that that’s the issue in this situation, the second issue is when their activity comes in. 9 inches is already big but imagine that 9 inches trying to turn around in the tank, zoom from end to end ect… It’s just not enough room.

The only tang I personally think is suitable in this size tank is a small Ctenochaetus species. Others may say otherwise however the rest of them LOVE to zoom and their behaviour in a large tank (6’/7’+) compared to 4’/5’ is very different.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, about 9 inches
That's a LOT of fish for a 120g. They are small dinner plate size when fully grown and like most acanthurus they can be nasty towards conspecifics and anything that's a threat. Had a juvie years ago in a fowlr it lasted about a year before it started attacking anyone or thing that came on it's 1/2 of a 5ft 150g tank (the days of a 20$ tang) and It had to go. Cool fish, but I'd think hard about that one. I'd even grow out a PBT (blue/brown) first before ever trying another Atlantic blue, IME.

The scopas is a meh, they can be buttholes too, but if your going to do a zebrasoma tang, better looking options out there. I have more than a few zebrasoma's stuffed in a 120g but I'm prepared for the worse.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 120g the only Tangs I’d consider would be one of the Bristletooths (except Chevron) or at most a small Zebrasoma (not the Sailfins). The Atlantic Blue gets quite large and needs at least 2x the tank size IMO. Definitely a fish for at least an 8 foot tank. There’s better Acanthurus out there for a larger tank. Heniochus are also a fish for a 6-foot tank, IMO.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll share my experience with my Atlantic Blue tang which can get large. My tank is a 7ft 210g and only had a few fish… Copperband, Yellow tang, Bicolor & Coral beauty angel, Goby, with random snails and a couple banded shrimp. Not much for a 210g and little to no aggression in the tank. I met someone who was breaking down her 180g tank which included an Atlantic Blue, Foxface, Long Nose Black tang (I really wanted the Long Nose black tang) and a couple wrasses essentially doubling the amount of tank mates. I initially was worried with the CBB being extremely docile and the yellow and black tank both being Zebrasoma which are known to be aggressive. Since introduction the Atlantic Blue (acanthurus coeruleus) is definitely the tank boss because of his/her size being almost double that of the other tangs. I wouldn't consider it overly aggressive but more or less don’t come near me or get chased down. The other tangs including a new Blonde Naso that I acquired could care less about each other and overall the tank is peaceful. My guess would be mainly because of the size of the blue tang keeping everyone in check.

With that being said I somewhat think the Atlantic Blue tang is too large for my tank and can be troublesome. While being an attractive fish it goes bat crazy during feeding time consuming half the food for the entire tank, its clumsy breaking a three year old birdnest coral several times which I finally had to remove and for some reason it randomly does this swish with its tail splashing water that hits the lights and lands on wall and floor. I was thinking of rehoming it but worry that it would upset the peaceful balance that the tank has.

Blue Tang.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll share my experience with my Atlantic Blue tang which can get large. My tank is a 7ft 210g and only had a few fish… Copperband, Yellow tang, Bicolor & Coral beauty angel, Goby, with random snails and a couple banded shrimp. Not much for a 210g and little to no aggression in the tank. I met someone who was breaking down her 180g tank which included an Atlantic Blue, Foxface, Long Nose Black tang (I really wanted the Long Nose black tang) and a couple wrasses essentially doubling the amount of tank mates. I initially was worried with the CBB being extremely docile and the yellow and black tank both being Zebrasoma which are known to be aggressive. Since introduction the Atlantic Blue (acanthurus coeruleus) is definitely the tank boss because of his/her size being almost double that of the other tangs. I wouldn't consider it overly aggressive but more or less don’t come near me or get chased down. The other tangs including a new Blonde Naso that I acquired could care less about each other and overall the tank is peaceful. My guess would be mainly because of the size of the blue tang keeping everyone in check.

With that being said I somewhat think the Atlantic Blue tang is too large for my tank and can be troublesome. While being an attractive fish it goes bat crazy during feeding time consuming half the food for the entire tank, its clumsy breaking a three year old birdnest coral several times which I finally had to remove and for some reason it randomly does this swish with its tail splashing water that hits the lights and lands on wall and floor. I was thinking of rehoming it but worry that it would upset the peaceful balance that the tank has.

Blue Tang.jpg
How long have you had the Atlantic Blue?

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the Atlantic Blue?
I've had the Atlantic Blue for about 1½ years. I'm not sure how long the previous owner had it but would guess the fish is about 4-5 years old. Gorgeous looking, completely blue with tiger strips just overly active and clumsy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Atlantic Blue for about 1½ years. I'm not sure how long the previous owner had it but would guess the fish is about 4-5 years old. Gorgeous looking, completely blue with tiger strips just overly active and clumsy.
Nice.

I honestly had not seen a healthy adult Atlantic blue outside of snorkeling/diving in the Caribbean or a public aquarium.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one that’s gone nuts before. I believe they are more aggressive than considered. On the higher scale for acanthurus.

Back