Blue-Green Squamosa

Rainblood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that PEA pulled all of their blue squammies off the website shortly after this back and forth squabble. Running a business is tough and it'd be awesome if some good came from all of this...however as of now - blue squammies are, very sadly, on my do-not-buy list

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that PEA pulled all of their blue squammies off the website shortly after this back and forth squabble. Running a business is tough and it'd be awesome if some good came from all of this...however as of now - blue squammies are, very sadly, on my do-not-buy list
I kill everything. I’m gonna take my chances HAHAHA

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a protozoan infection from the genus Perkinsus . It's common in clams from Bali, Palau, anbd Tonga, especially squamosas, and that's Bali is where all the blue squamosas currently come from. I've had a clam farmer warn me about that. The virus can be dormant for months or years before killing the clam, and sometimes it never will. That sucks though, such beautiful clams, I'm sorry :(

Wild caught vs aquacultured clams are all in the same water - clams are aquaculture in saltwater flow through systems and the water isn't usually sterilized.
Is it a protozoan or virus? These are not the same thing, nor are interchangeable. From what you described, sounds more like a virus, which can be dormant for long periods (lysogenic virus in this case).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I lost basically all of my clams, including my blue squamosas, over the past week to an extremely fast acting disease. They went from healthy, actively growing specimens to dead within 4 days of the onset of symptoms. FW dips were had no effect whatsoever, I strongly suspect this was something bacterial due to how quickly it spread and killed the clams. I've never experienced anything like this in my 15 years in the hobby.
FWIW
Only surface infestation will response to FWD. if the infection is invasive and in the tissue then FWD is useless.
I am so sorry that you lost most of your clams in this disaster.
I also lost all of my clams when I first encounter PMD in 2000. I lost mine over 18 months period. PMD is a much slower disease especially for healthy larger clams. It mainly killed by irritated the mantle resulting in closing and starvation of the clam.
I lost all but a few out of 30+ clams before I can up with the cure. I even remember which and where the case #1 in my tank came from.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back