Blue hermit the serial killer

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Just want to share something that's been going on for sometimes.
I got a blue leg hermit since the beginning of the year.

Ever since i introduced it to my tank, it had been commiting mass murder to all my snails, doesn't matter which kind.
You might think maybe some other causes related to my snails gone.

But no, that little devil basically killed all of them as i witness with my own eye.
I would said that i witnessed 90% of it.
It just killed for fun, as the current shell it carried on still the original one when i got it.

Though, it did help me to clean out most of my hair algae, thus it will still staying inside this tank.

Here i share a picture of the graveyard.

IMG_20211103_132726.jpg IMG_20211103_132708.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking that the crab killed those lazy snails because they were not helping remove the hair algae? Maybe they had it coming?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got 1 naughty to me but his normal thing to do and find food I guess, he in sump as started wrestling with my smaller conch snail and had to save a few times then see conch jumping 6 inch up backwards to escape lol.
I've got another on last strike and that ne going in sump if carries on lol

Before getting hermits I read alot threads saying get extra shells and target feed and will be ok but nope still see it and read alot threads just get snails but I prefer mixed lot of cuc and if need replace that's what I will do for now anyway ^_^
Haven't got blue legs and the 2 naughty hermits I spoke of have green/ yellow legs fyi

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has also killed a couple of snails. But only when it needs a bigger shell for housing.
Now i'm watching him and when he is getting too curious in a snail I will give him a bigger shell myself. And I feed him so he does not have to find food himself.

Shells can be bought or found on the coast..

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking that the crab killed those lazy snails because they were not helping remove the hair algae? Maybe they had it coming?

Hahaha, it could be.
I always got various kind of shell laying on for it, but it never lay an eye on them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back