Blue hippo tang and tomini tang?

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a Red Sea reefer 650, so it’s about 5’x2’x2’. Currently in the tank I got a magnificent rabbit fish, marble wrasse, blue hippo tang, pearly jawfish, and target mandarin. I never see the pearly jawfish or Target mandarin really swimming so it’s like I got 3 fish in a 5’ tank. So obviously I want to add some more. Wanted to add 1-2 helfrichi fire fish(wanted to see if I could get a pair) Midas blenny and tomini tang. I think all the fish will get along fine except maybe the tangs. Does anyone have any experience with these two tangs together? Would you recommend a different tang or even a different fish list all together? Any suggestion and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had issues between my two. In fact nothing major between any of mine. The occasional hot lap that last 3secs but never any bullying or fighting

FEE6D8F2-4C11-46DE-939C-B06C65150316.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a Red Sea reefer 650, so it’s about 5’x2’x2’. Currently in the tank I got a magnificent rabbit fish, marble wrasse, blue hippo tang, pearly jawfish, and target mandarin. I never see the pearly jawfish or Target mandarin really swimming so it’s like I got 3 fish in a 5’ tank. So obviously I want to add some more. Wanted to add 1-2 helfrichi fire fish(wanted to see if I could get a pair) Midas blenny and tomini tang. I think all the fish will get along fine except maybe the tangs. Does anyone have any experience with these two tangs together? Would you recommend a different tang or even a different fish list all together? Any suggestion and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

With the stock list you have I would skip the firefish. Very easily bullied fish and can spend a fair bit of time in hiding. The Tomini Tang and Midas Blenny should be fine though.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the stock list you have I would skip the firefish. Very easily bullied fish and can spend a fair bit of time in hiding. The Tomini Tang and Midas Blenny should be fine though.
Okay is there a different fish that you would recommend instead that would work well in my tank? Was planning on placing an order with my LFS this coming weekend.

Reef Mania LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both in my 180g mixed reef a few years ago, they never seemed to both each other and got a long great with other tangs in the reef as well.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few tominis inuad were very aggressive on all new fish additions.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some anthias if you want more fish movement in the water column.
I was thinking about that I just don’t like anthias. Was in the freshwater side for years and all I had was schooling fish so I wanted to change it up a little bit.
Last few tominis inuad were very aggressive on all new fish additions.
Yea I know the tomini will be aggressive to any new fish that’s why I wanted to introduce him last and not get any more fish after. That’s why I want to get one last order of fish. Just haven’t finalized what I want.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back