Blue hippo tang help

Offthehook89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a juvenile Blue Hippo Tang and introduced him to my tank 4 days ago. I already had 2 clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 mandarin goby and 2 cleaner shrimp...the hippo tang was the last fish to go iin. All of my other fish have been doing well the last 3 weeks. This Hippo Tang stays in my live rock most of the day...almost wedging himself at times it seems lol...He's about 2 inches in length. When he does come out he swims and looks great but then spends most of the time in the rocks....Is this normal? Again he's been in the tank about 4 days. He comes out and eats with the other fish too.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal. You will swear they are dead sometimes. Give him time to adjust. They will also sleep this way when small. You really should qt these guys though they stress easy. What size tank is it?

OP
OP
O

Offthehook89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55 gallon. Im new to the hobby. I plan on setting up another 125 gallon in a few months in another room. Lol when i purchased the hippo tang the guy told me they like to play dead sometimes. He also mentioned how they loved to swim and might be territorial towards the clown fish. But he spends most of his time in the rocks. I was getting a lil nervous but when he does come out his coloring is fine and hes active

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's gotta get comfortable with his new tank, then you'll see him more.

cpayne015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tangs is way too much for a 55 gallon. Tangs usually do best in off numbers also. Being thst small could get him bullied too

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you don't get that 125 set up soon I would find a new home for the hippocampus. They get stressed in confined spaces and a stressed tang can lead to a tank disaster. I'm having trouble with a single tang feeling cramped in a 120. My six foot tank setup can't get done fast enough it seems.

OP
OP
O

Offthehook89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140609_131046.jpg
same size as my clowns...maybe 2 inches......hes actually out a bit more today

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back