Blue legged hermit crab.....multiplied?!

stacy_vamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally going to sound weird, but I bought two blue legged hermit crabs, yesterday, and today, I see a third one, without a shell? It looks like it’s molting, from what I’ve read online. This is my first time having these creatures, so I have no idea what’s going on. I attached two photos, Both shells are taken up with the crabs that I bought, but next to the second shell, there is a pair of blue legs and white meaty substance..... I put it next to the shell but it was originally found this morning under a rock....
Someone please explain how this is possible? I double checked, both shells are indeed taken up by the crabs, I can see their legs sticking out and they are moving. So where did this third one come from? and what do i do with it since it doesn't have a shell

BF7614B3-84A4-4902-99D8-CC10A4C64BE6.jpeg 392C87E7-D8C7-4958-9DC8-4C91B1526A7A.jpeg

OP
OP
S

stacy_vamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them probably molted last night and what you’re seeing is just the molt it left behind. The way they do it, they’ll often leave a molt that looks like a full crab but there’s nothing in the shell.
That would make sense...but what do i do next? Do i need to find him a shell or something? If so where can I get one

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bit you see is the molt, the crab is back in it's shell. Your CUC will take care of the molted shell.

EDIT:
After reading your comment, I'm assuming you do not know what a molt is?

When a crab gets too big for it's exoskelton, it opens a trap door at the rear of it's shell, and walks out of it's old "skin". What you are seeing is the left behind old "skin" or molt.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll likely stay in hiding for a day or so and be fine. There's nothing you do at this point.

OP
OP
S

stacy_vamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...
The bit you see is the molt, the crab is back in it's shell. Your CUC will take care of the molted shell.

EDIT:
After reading your comment, I'm assuming you do not know what a molt is?

When a crab gets too big for it's exoskelton, it opens a trap door at the rear of it's shell, and walks out of it's old "skin". What you are seeing is the left behind old "skin" or molt.
im sorry I've never went through this process and have no idea what's happening! I just haven't seen the shell move, only legs are sticking out, but it hasn't been walking for hours.. But you're saying it should have returned to its previous shell right?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...

im sorry I've never went through this process and have no idea what's happening! I just haven't seen the shell move, only legs are sticking out, but it hasn't been walking for hours.. But you're saying it should have returned to its previous shell right?
They're saying that the "crab" outside the shell is not actually a live crab - it's a molt from the crab. For explanation, like how snakes shed their skins on occasion, hermit crabs (and all crustaceans) shed their exoskeletons every now and then to keep growing; the shed exoskeletons are called molts. So, just like an intact snake shed can look a lot like live snake, an intact molt looks a lot like a live hermit.

So, you basically found a hermit's shed skeleton, not a real hermit. So, you still only have two hermits (the two hermits in the shells are the real hermits). The molt (which was never a living creature) will likely be eaten by stuff in your tank, but you can remove it if you'd prefer.

OP
OP
S

stacy_vamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're saying that the "crab" outside the shell is not actually a live crab - it's a molt from the crab. For explanation, like how snakes shed their skins on occasion, hermit crabs (and all crustaceans) shed their exoskeletons every now and then to keep growing; the shed exoskeletons are called molts. So, just like an intact snake shed can look a lot like live snake, an intact molt looks a lot like a live hermit.

So, you basically found a hermit's shed skeleton, not a real hermit. So, you still only have two hermits (the two hermits in the shells are the real hermits). The molt (which was never a living creature) will likely be eaten by stuff in your tank, but you can remove it if you'd prefer.
I understand now, thanks a lot!!!!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HMM.... didn't think of a snake, good analogy!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is totally going to sound weird, but I bought two blue legged hermit crabs, yesterday, and today, I see a third one, without a shell? It looks like it’s molting, from what I’ve read online. This is my first time having these creatures, so I have no idea what’s going on. I attached two photos, Both shells are taken up with the crabs that I bought, but next to the second shell, there is a pair of blue legs and white meaty substance..... I put it next to the shell but it was originally found this morning under a rock....
Someone please explain how this is possible? I double checked, both shells are indeed taken up by the crabs, I can see their legs sticking out and they are moving. So where did this third one come from? and what do i do with it since it doesn't have a shell

BF7614B3-84A4-4902-99D8-CC10A4C64BE6.jpeg 392C87E7-D8C7-4958-9DC8-4C91B1526A7A.jpeg
I collected these in Jamaica and have seen two of them in one shell and also can be a duplicate from a molting

Back