Blue Reef Chromis

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth on what my next fish will be, I currently have: 75g rectangle with 40g

1 x Midas Blenny
1 x court jester
1 x blood orange
1 x clown (he and his paramour get a long well)
1 x cleaner shrimp
Standard cuc

I want to add blue reef chromis both for their pop of color and their activity. Thinking of placing an order for 5. One 2-3” specimen and then the rest in the under 1.5” range. Natural ring leader so to speak... am I way off here? Is that too many to add?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth on what my next fish will be, I currently have: 75g rectangle with 40g

1 x Midas Blenny
1 x court jester
1 x blood orange
1 x clown (he and his paramour get a long well)
1 x cleaner shrimp
Standard cuc

I want to add blue reef chromis both for their pop of color and their activity. Thinking of placing an order for 5. One 2-3” specimen and then the rest in the under 1.5” range. Natural ring leader so to speak... am I way off here? Is that too many to add?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that species. They get large (~4.5") they often lose the bright blue color and turn dark. They also don't live well in groups in aquariums long term - they tend to fight and then bump each other off.

Green chromis on the other hand are currently coming in with a high rate of Uronema infection, and that can't be treated, so my advice is to stay away from those as well.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I saw the title, before I even responded, I saw post from @Jay Hemdal and could not agree more. Right now, there is NO win-win with chromis. Consider sapphire blue damsel also colorful blue

ProfessorX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collection plays a critical role in the survival of the blue reef chromis IME. Water flow and hiding spots plays a critical role in how quickly they will disband from a school and turn into bullies amongst themselves.

unpopular opinion: yellow tail blue damsels are my favorite alternative. Great blue, dash of electric yellow, stay small, not aggressive to larger fish, and can live in small groups

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my tank. They are a dark blue. They can get pretty big. Mine has not been aggressive and is pretty hardy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back