Blue sponge brag!

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bright blue sponge. It hasn't grown much but it looks healthy. Today I spotted a small, bright blue mass with what looks like a typical sponge opening. There are a few more blue spots that might turn out to be sponge babies, too but they're harder to photograph.

2018 Nov 28 baby sponge.jpg

Anyone have sponges reproducing in their tank? I know these can be cultured in captivity. I did not think it would be spontaneous; I figured it was like fragging coral - you had to cut them up.

Here's the parent sponge. [The color in the baby sponge picture is more accurate.]

2018 Nov 28 parent sponge.jpg

Jonathan4848

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a blue sponge. I stuck it in a hole of a rock and since I got it (about 1/4 inch like 8 months ago) it has grown a lot. If has filled the entire hole and growing into the water column (very little). I have also noticed blue sponge in different parts of the tank that I haven’t put there. My guess is pieces have detached and floated around

Jonathan4848

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a blue sponge. I stuck it in a hole of a rock and since I got it (about 1/4 inch like 8 months ago) it has grown a lot. If has filled the entire hole and growing into the water column (very little). I have also noticed blue sponge in different parts of the tank that I haven’t put there. My guess is pieces have detached and floated around

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'regular' sponge was a lucky find at an LFS.

The blue plating photosynthetic sponge you can get just about anywhere online.
Lol, it is bulletproof. Current nitrates 100. After a regular water change.
Think I have been feeding a little too much lately.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are really easy to frag. Simply put it in a container (be sure not to remove it from the water) and go to town with a razor blade. I've done some lab work with Haliclona species (including some just like yours) and we'll even through them in a blender to save time. Give them some substrate to attach to and you'll be fine.

PS - Don't glue them, it'll kill off the sponge. Instead break the prongs off a plastic fork and impale it. Then put the prongs in to your rock

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding it ti grow? Mine are stable but not growing. I have them a year. At least they are not dying.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back