blue spot toby puffer

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons with having a blue spot toby puffer in a community fish only tank with a decent amount of live rock? What have been your experiences when housing one thanks

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick at snails from time time. That's about the only con.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if blue spots behave the same, but I got a white spot & it kept biting the fins of just about all my other fish. I got tired of all the circular bites in their fins, so I returned him to the LFS. Now they all look nice again. May want to check if its common with the blue spots.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful & personable little fish. Some may nip fish fins, others do not - varies with individual.
Same with inverts - some go after both snails & shrimp. Mine went after shrimp only, left snails alone. Mine never bothered my corals.

As stated above, biggest risk is to inverts.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw in a little story of my recent (meaning last night) experience with the Blue Spot Toby Puffer...

I have a BUNCH of fish in the DT including a fat, healthy Cleaner Wrasse who is always busy cleaning the tankmates.

We added the puffer (maybe, 3.5" in overall length) to the DT last night.

He was immediately super chill and not hiding... PERFECT!

Wife and I had just sat down to enjoy watching it when the Cleaner Wrasse (which we really like as it has a pretty personable attitude) spotted the puffer, darting over to "clean" it... and then all hell broke loose.

The Cleaner Wrasse chased the puffer lightning-fast from one end of the tank to the other and all around the rockwork.
It was absolutely merciless and non-stop.

It was bad and getting worse by the second.

My wife and I jumped up and grabbed nets to try and catch the wrasse.

We stood (on stools) on either side of the glass and flailed the nets all around the tank to catch it... all the while, it didn't stop chasing the puffer.

FINALLY, after basically destroying the stacked rockwork and leaving the water in an absolute clouded mess, it was caught and promptly dropped into the overflow.

Although this very well could be an isolated experience, I would most definitely not recommend housing a Toby Puffer with a Cleaner Wrasse.

Hey, Cleaner Wrasse... remember the LFS?

UPDATE:
The Cleaner Wrasse jumped over the weir and back into the DT while I happened to be watching the tank (fine, I’m always watching! Ha) and the mayhem began once again.
This time I let the situation be, and, after an hour or so, the Cleaner Wrasse lost interest in chasing the puffer.

They’ve been in complete harmony since...

Last edited:

CJD18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if blue spots behave the same, but I got a white spot & it kept biting the fins of just about all my other fish. I got tired of all the circular bites in their fins, so I returned him to the LFS. Now they all look nice again. May want to check if its common with the blue spots.
Blue spots are fin nippers!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great tankmates and color but not so good with softies especially zoa

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got along with most fish. He’s currently housed with a dwarf fuzzy lion fish and a lawnmower Benny and gets along well with them. He did nip my dwarf angels fins when I had them together, but as long as you feed them every day they should behave. Mine eats everything from silverside chunks to lrs nano to nori sheets

CJD18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got along with most fish. He’s currently housed with a dwarf fuzzy lion fish and a lawnmower Benny and gets along well with them. He did nip my dwarf angels fins when I had them together, but as long as you feed them every day they should behave. Mine eats everything from silverside chunks to lrs nano to nori sheets
I feed 2-3 times daily and had 4 fish with bite marks...foxface, engineer goby, dogface puffer and a dory, mine was about 3 inchs.

boilerreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hawaiian spotted puffer and he’s nipped the fins of my yellow tang, fox face, and clown fish. As soon as I can catch him, he’s going back in my nano tank in my study.

Any DIY solutions on how to catch him? I’m waiting on a tank mates trap, but don’t want to wait 3 more days for delivery.

OP
OP
J

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck putting a clear jug into the tank with some food in it and pulling it out when the fish goes in to feed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back