Blue Spotted Jawfish

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the price tag for this fish worth it. I have been wanting one and Live Aquaria has them on sale for $79 occasionally but is the price tag worth it or would I be better of with other sand sifters and saving the money?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, they don't sift sand. They build a small burrow and stay there.

Second, they prefer cooler waters than typical reef tanks, so have a significantly shortened lifespan in warmer waters.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, they don't sift sand. They build a small burrow and stay there.

Second, they prefer cooler waters than typical reef tanks, so have a significantly shortened lifespan in warmer waters.
Yes I knew that required cooler temps which for me is an issue as I don't plan on buying a chiller just for one fish. Im pretty sure im talking myself out of it lol. Ill probably go with a diamond goby or something.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can handle keeping your tank down to 74 ish would be fine. With no heaters I have a temperate 125g tank that keeps about 69. The jawfish is very cool. I have 2 of them in that tank because I loved the first one so much. Quickly became my favorite fish andI have a ton. The colors are just amazing too.

Here's a good article...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/index.htm

EastSideBAy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue.jpg
Blue spotted jaw fish are definitely worth the price point. The one that i have has so much character with him. Always give me a chuckle when he tries to drag a rubble half of its size to its burrow. tips is have at least 3+ inch sand bed as well cooler temp water. Another is try to not add one with anemones in the tank. Learn that the hard way once before having these Beauts.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the price tag for this fish worth it. I have been wanting one and Live Aquaria has them on sale for $79 occasionally but is the price tag worth it or would I be better of with other sand sifters and saving the money?

I may be in the minority here, but I would say no simply because they spend a lot of time hiding and as mentioned above they require a lower temp which may not agree with your current stock. Personally if a fish can't handle a 78 degree temp I don't want it because that seems to be the sweet spot for 99% of corals, fish, inverts that are out there.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority here, but I would say no simply because they spend a lot of time hiding and as mentioned above they require a lower temp which may not agree with your current stock. Personally if a fish can't handle a 78 degree temp I don't want it because that seems to be the sweet spot for 99% of corals, fish, inverts that are out there.
definitely agree. I run mine at 78 so I think ill pass. I just got a diamond goby instead and love him

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of them.
Def would give it a try again but like said they are prone to blue spotted jawfish disease and require colder temps. Longest i had one was for 6 months. Great fish otherwise though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely agree. I run mine at 78 so I think ill pass. I just got a diamond goby instead and love him

While it doesn't have the color of a Blue Spot, it makes up for it with cheap cost, super durability/longevity and personality. Mine has been a near bullet proof fish who has withstood several challenges.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a blue spot jawfish for close to a year now. It has tons of personality and I see it watch me when I am near the tank. My water temp is 79-80 and haven't had an issue yet. I also have a diamond goby and prefer the jawfish way more. As mentioned a jawfish is not a sand sifter and stays in a burrow that it has made. When I first added it to the tank it would jump a lot and I would have to dig it out the overflow. As it has settled in the jumping has stopped. If you have the money I would go with the jawfish over the diamond goby. When I have company over they are always curious about what kind of fish it is.

luckyazn6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my second one for about a month love it. Pretty funny guy to watch

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did own one until it decided to make a leap out of my rimless tank, I wasn't running a chiller and it was fine in 78-79 water temp. It doesn't sift sand as mentioned already but will make several burrows in the tank if it has the room for it or at least mine did. Probably one of the easiest fish I've ever owned...it was eating day 1 and was as comfortable as some other OG fish in the system right away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back