Blue Throat Trigger QT With a Hippo Tang?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon QT which I downgraded from a 16 gallon due to lack of space. A 2 inch hippo tang has been in there for roughly 2 months and has only received doses of prazi but not copper as I have been extremely busy. I'm looking to get a 4 inch male blue throat trigger and is wondering if there will be any problems with them staying in a 10 gallon QT.

Although its not the safest, the hippo tang has been in the QT for 2 months and haven't shown signs of ich or velvet and is eating nori all day. Can I just drop it into my DT?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in theory yes you obviously can do it. But even though blue throats are one of the least aggressive triggers, it is still a trigger and nothing develops a temper in a trigger more than cramped space and no live rock to lock into. A 4 inch fish in a 10 gallon its quite the stretch. You will definitely need some rock or something to break it up. Im not saying you cant or you shouldnt do it, just bringing to mind these issues so you dont lose a 100 dollar tang.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a no here.

10g QT is too small for a 4" trigger for anything more than a few days imo.

Triggers are Active swimmers. I've got one in my 40b qt right now and every inch gets used.

Minimum size I would use to quarantine that fish is a 20 long.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I have a 20 gallon in the closet which I can use but can only be placed on the floor

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your hippo is nearing the end of its QT cycle (~60 days right now), then I would also get him into the DT prior and give the blue throat a QT tank by itself, especially if you are going to be using a smaller QT tank. If you haven't treated with copper or CP, there is always a chance the hippo is not pest free, but 60 days without any signs of ich etc. sounds pretty good to me...

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT my fish and treat for disease regardless of their appearance. However I still introduce them to my DT VIA a 30min hydrogen peroxide bath.

I would recommend you do this as a precaution. Look up the Humblefish YouTube channel for instructions if you decide to do so. I have given my blue hippo 3 x peroxide baths (2 in Hybrid TTM and 1 before going into my DT) with no ill effect.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another concern besides aggression from the trigger is the introduction of a disease. Even though your hippo tang seems parasite free, you don’t know what the trigger will bring in and infect the tang with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back