Blue throat trigger

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure this has been answered

Anyones experience with adding a blue throat trigger to a mixed reef??

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. They are very shy. Mine doesn't eat coral. Doesn't even nip.

You have to be careful not to make any sudden movements towards the tank or in front of the tank. They get spooked and WILL JUMP right out of the tank.

Cool fish. If you have bullies in the tank it will hide in an upper corner most of the time. Easily bullied to stay in a small area of the tank.

It took mine 3mos to get comfortable with my main bully, a Blue Hippo tang. The Blue Hippo will sometimes chase it into a corner and takes 30mins for it to come back out and swim in the community area.

Expect it to be veeeeeery shy and timid

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a male years ago and never had a issue. I only had it for two years before it jumped out of the tank and I didn’t find him till the next day.

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a blue yellow belly regal

Hes hot and cold but dominate fish in my 120g

Iamjoefox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male. When i put him in the tank I didn’t see him for about 3 weeks. Now he’s out and about all the time, model citizen too. He just eat like a pig. It doesn’t bother any corals or other fish not even the cleaner shrimp.

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had a trigger in my reefs, and had a blue throat in the past. Great tank mate, and shy. He never ate corals or fish. I currently have a Niger trigger, and he is a little bit of a bully, but not bad. Both are gorgeous with lots of personality.

ReefGoddesss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Blue Throat Trigger too. It was a beautiful fish who never bothered corals or any fish (including my smaller clownfish). Sadly, I lost him because he jumped out suddenly from my open aquarium. It wasn’t the jump that killed him. He landed on the carpet and was scooped up and put back in. Apparently I spooked him while I was typing on my computer at my desk. He died 2 weeks later...somehow he must have injured his mouth without me noticing when he jumped and died of an infection. Lesson Learned: I will get a cover for my new aquarium before getting another one.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in QT right now. I've had him 3 weeks and he just now will let me approach the tank and sit down without hiding. He eats great and is a really beautiful fish. Hopefully he will do well in my DT. The only fish I have that could possibly bully him would be my Gold Rim Tang. We'll see in a few weeks.

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have or had one, were you also able to successfully keep an urchin with it? And if so, what kind of urchin?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have or had one, were you also able to successfully keep an urchin with it? And if so, what kind of urchin?
I have a pincushion urchin. The blue throat pays no attention to it or any other invert at this time, that I know of, when I’m actually there watching, during the day time;)

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin. The blue throat pays no attention to it or any other invert at this time, that I know of, when I’m actually there watching, during the day time;)
Awesome! Thanks for responding so quickly. Seems BTT's are also good neighbors with tridacna clams, too. Really loving this fish.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for responding so quickly. Seems BTT's are also good neighbors with tridacna clams, too. Really loving this fish.
I have a deresa clam, porcelain anemone crab that hangs in the breeze, 5 porcelain crabs, hermits and snails.

No issues. The trigger itself is like a little puppy. I’m really thinking about getting a male as well.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one for a while till I had to move...
Reefsafe with coral for sure.
Mine went after small fish but did not touch my cleaner shrimp... I had some really small chromis I had to move to another tank.
Mine settled in quickly and was not shy at all. They need a cave where they like to wedge themselves in.
They will jump if not covered, that is how I lost him. I moved him to a temporary tank with a lid when I was moving and he still managed to push the lid up when he jumped.
Mine shot water out of the tank and at me sometimes. He was always doing it at the autofeeder, I think he cold see the food in it... took my a while to figure out why there was water always underneath the autofeeder. I thought it was a leak till I saw him doing it...
Very intelligent fish too..
I would not put in anything less than a 120 gallon aquarium...

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back