Blue Throat Triggerfish

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a Blue Throat Trigger about 4” long. He doesn’t seem interested in prepared frozen foods. I put in some ghost shrimp to see if he would eat that. I noticed he has a sore on his chin. Any advice would be appreciated!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are planktonic eaters and prefer to feed from the water column and not go hunting. I would jeep on trying mysis and it should eventually eat some. ...just make sure that it sees them since they are used to eating what they can see right in front of them. If they go and hide, then they could miss out.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty shy in the beginning, so you might have to sneak up to feed. Or possibly drop in a little food & leave his view. I would keep an eye on the sore, sometimes they hurt themselves when the dart into the rockwork. Good luck.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 5" blue throat trigger about 3 weeks ago. Mine has been somewhat active but definitely a shy fish so far. Mine has refused to eat anything from the water column or has done so very sparingly. However, mine will take certain pieces of food on a clip. I've had the best luck with fresh scallop where I slice off small pieces and clip them on. I actually cut slits into each piece so that they break off as small pieces that the trigger will eat. I'm even able to hand feed the trigger small pieces of food, but he just doesn't seem interested in eating frozen from the water column so far.

I will 2nd what @jda said about eating what's right in front of them. I think that's one reason my blue throat hasn't been as interested in eating frozen when I feed the tank due to my flow blowing pieces everywhere. In fact, I'm going to try feeding with almost all the flow off the next couple of days and see if that helps.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back