Bluestripe pipefish breeding?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here bred the bluestripe pipefish? I've read the breeding logs from MBI, and I'd like to hear other people's methods. I just started my 4th attempt yesterday (all the previous ones completely failed) and have 40-50 fry. I'm feeding BBS.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I haven’t, but have you tried feeding copepod nauplii or rotifers? How cold are the pipefish being incubated at? at what size are they hatching? What’s your rearing vessel?

@ThRoewer has some in the works I believe.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't but take pics and document as much as possible in case you are successful
Sure thing!
Hmmm...I haven’t, but have you tried feeding copepod nauplii or rotifers? How cold are the pipefish being incubated at? at what size are they hatching? What’s your rearing vessel?

@ThRoewer has some in the works I believe.
The tank is at room temp, around 70F. They’re 5mm. I’m using a 5 gallon tank that is currently halfway full for greater BBS density. Lightly aerated with an airline.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artemia won't cut it. What you need is copepod nauplii.
Also, these are tropical reef fish. 70F is too cold. They need at least 24°C.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should note that I asked about tank temperature because I've heard some fascinating stuff about erectus seahorses having benthic fry in their northern range, and more pelagic fry in their southern range. Also some interesting studies about temperature affecting hatching size in dragonets (I think).

I agree with ThRoewer though. Something smaller than artemia is probably what you're going to need to use for rearing.

Finally, you never mentioned it, but what's your rearing vessel? Big Round Tub? standard 10 gallon tub? kreisel?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parvocalanus.
But they only take live motile algae, preferably Isocrysis, so you also have to culture those.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fed enough by being in a matured, not to clean tank, you can't stop them from breeding.
They spawn constantly and I never have to feed them as they hunt all day.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fed enough by being in a matured, not to clean tank, you can't stop them from breeding.
They spawn constantly and I never have to feed them as they hunt all day.

That's weird Paul, yours look like a different species than mine. The colors are slightly different. Mine don't stop breeding either, and the male is always pregnant!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she look better here? Same fish, different camera.
I have been keeping them for many years. I think they only live 7 or 8 years but I don't remember.
I still have this one and I have been living here almost 3 years. She was in my last house for about 2 years.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To culture the algae you will also need:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back