Bobbit

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That for sure looks to me like a Eunicid/Bobbit worm of some kind. Evil little suckers.

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that aiptasia x might kill them or at least evict them from their den for easy capture. I hate the idea of putting chemicals in the tank, but I've tried to catch it with the tongs and it is too quick. It actually snaps at the tongs. Last resort is breaking up my show piece rock. So maybe aiptasia x before I get to that step?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I heard that aiptasia x might kill them or at least evict them from their den for easy capture. I hate the idea of putting chemicals in the tank, but I've tried to catch it with the tongs and it is too quick. It actually snaps at the tongs. Last resort is breaking up my show piece rock. So maybe aiptasia x before I get to that step?
Worth a shot. What else do you have on the rock? If you can remove any livestock from it, you could potentially freshwater dip it and see if you can extract it that way. I am just looking for other options besides breaking it since it's your showpiece rock.

Gargoyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an excellent thread in this forum late last year from a guy who had a monster bobbit. He tried a few things and eventually got it out. Worth a read.

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in the cave to the left of the Monti and below the Bali slimmer. Tried the aiptasia x, now see what happens.
7E0D08D4-C829-4B91-8F7F-7E94D7CBC04D.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE. I caught it. Aiptasia X didn't do anything likely because it escaped through the numerous tunnels. I took the rock out and was prepared to break it apart and hunt for it, then try to glue back together. I removed a Bali green slimmer frag that has not encrusted yet so it would not get damaged, and sure unenough the Eunice was right there. Used my tongs and pulled it out as it tried to escape in a hole and managed to decapitate it in the process. I had to use a drill to dig deeper to find the head section so it would not regenerate. Found the head. The guy at my LFS wanted it for his critter tank, so it lives but out of my reef! The head is the chunk on the right, it did not fare well with the drill bit.

Attachments

• D1096FB1-A37B-4FE5-BC06-BFCF255307A6.jpeg
    D1096FB1-A37B-4FE5-BC06-BFCF255307A6.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 45

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE. I caught it. Aiptasia X didn't do anything likely because it escaped through the numerous tunnels. I took the rock out and was prepared to break it apart and hunt for it, then try to glue back together. I removed a Bali green slimmer frag that has not encrusted yet so it would not get damaged, and sure unenough the Eunice was right there. Used my tongs and pulled it out as it tried to escape in a hole and managed to decapitate it in the process. I had to use a drill to dig deeper to find the head section so it would not regenerate. Found the head. The guy at my LFS wanted it for his critter tank, so it lives but out of my reef! The head is the chunk on the right, it did not fare well with the drill bit.
My word.... nice work in getting that thing out! Oh, cool handle too lol..:cool:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No doubt eunicid and lucky you to get it out. Small fish would have been next

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back