Bob's build thread - 34g to 34g transition

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob's 23x23x16" Cube - livestock transferred!

Hi everyone! I've been running a 34 gallon solana for about 8 months now and have finally decided to upgrade to a 23x23x16 custom cube. I was tired of getting my entire arm wet so I got something a bit shorter. I'll outline the build of my solana, and finally I hope to keep the thread updated with my progress on the new tank.

I had a bunch of rock/equipment from a tank I had back in 2005 so I figured a small all-in-one type unit would be simple and easy. I found a 34 gallon solana in great shape for a great deal from a local reefer. This was going to be my first 'good' lighting system so I was quite excited.
rf90El.jpg

I eagerly unpacked my old rocks and started to plan my scape
lByMKl.jpg

which ended up looking like this:
TJRgml.jpg

With a tiny seed rock the water quickly greened up. Apparently rock sitting in storage for 5+ years can still have death on it waiting to decompose! Anyway after the seemingly forever 3-5 week cycle I finally added some livestock. First inhabitant was a bicolor blenny, and a few soft corals. Most notably my eagle eye zoas and a watermelon shroom:
WoMpTl.jpg

B3OP8l.jpg

The tank stayed like this for a while, until I realized that there was just TOO much rock. I decided to remove a bunch of pieces and go with a more minimalistic/island look:
XP5Mgl.jpg

This allowed me to see all of my inhabitants at all times, and just had a better feel to it.

A few months later my MH bulb began to diminish. The previous owner said I only had about 8 months left on the bulb so I knew this was coming. One major problem living in vegas is the heat, and the 150w MH put out a ton of heat. It was here that I started to investigate LED options. After all was said and done I decided to splurge a bit and get an Aqua Illuminations Sol Blue unit - the only problem was that no one had them! Needless to say I was on the backordered list for a good 2 months while my MH bulb continued to die. In the time that the fixture was on back order I decided 2 things: that I was going to order a new ApexJR to control my newly aquired MP10 and AI Sol, and that I wanted a new tank.

I'm a relatively short guy (5'6") and in order to reach to the bottom of my solana I have to soak my entire arm - which discourages me from doing it. Because of this snails don't get turned over, frags don't get uprighted when my conch runs them over, etc etc. Another thing I did not like was the Aqua-C Urchin skimmer I had sitting unused in the garage. All of these things led me to calling up TroyLee and putting in an order for a new tank. While waiting for that to be build I got my AI unit installed; since I was waiting on the Apex to control it it had to be hung rather high since it was running at 100%. And I wanted to hang it so that it would be directly above my new tank - but the air vent was in the way so I had to do some improvising:
BscXOl.jpg

Orniil.jpg

After replacing my ailing MH bulb with these LEDs I haven't seen a shred of problematic algae - my tank has never been cleaner. Granted I have to clean the glass daily, but it's a small price to pay for a healthier system. Once the corals got acclimated to the new lights all new colors and growth started happening. Here are the eagle eye zoas from earlier:
gHwtRl.jpg

And here's the watermelon shroom:
X6jrEl.jpg

And here are some other frags of mine that are doing well under my LEDs:
duncans
WdIxTl.jpg

orange monti cap
0k9DVl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what monti this is
xH5Bzl.jpg

i think this is an aussie enchinata
8vN5Bl.jpg

my frag rack is pretty full....i need some more room!
qjFMkl.jpg

and here's the latest inhabitant, it's the only fish that will stay still long enough for a picture:
erd1Tl.jpg

Tuesday night the Tank, stand, sump, and ATO container finally got delivered!
uDuoAl.jpg

tank dimensions are 23x23x16", sides are 3/8" thick (so I can use my MP10) with a 2" eurobrace. Took a few trips to home depot and a lot of stupid mistakes but I've finally finished the plumbing. Drain plumbing is 1" while the returns are 3/4". My return pump will be a Mag7 for now, and I'll rely on my MP10 for most of the flow.
CCgl6l.jpg

Currently it's filled with tap water making sure there are no leaks. I anticipate transferring of the livestock tomorrow. I've got 60lbs of TropicEden reef flakes (will probably only use 45) and a brand new 200g mix of ESV salt. I can't wait to get this ball rolling. I know this post is forever long so thanks for sticking around!

5ouVul.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after many many many hours of making water and hauling it up the stairs I was finally able to get this thing going. Transferring the livestock was a pain. First I had to remove my cleaner & coral banded shrimp along with any misc. crabs so I could treat the tank for red bugs (just in case). After that I treated every frag with Coral RX Pro - again just to be safe. Moving things over from the solana was a lot more work than I had originally anticipated.
zckT3l.jpg

once all the treatments were done I could start toying with the sump. As of now the return is a Mag7, and the skimmer is an Aqua-C Urchin powered by a maxijet 1200. I got my lights lowered to the proper height and things are finally starting to how I had envisioned.
QRyK6l.jpg

T4VWQl.jpg

austinp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and set up. Do you have any pictures of how you built your stand?

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for some advice on my aquascape. I expected a bit more flow but the center rock seems to be slowing it down quite a bit. I don't want to turn the MP10 up too much more in fear of blowing the flesh off of my sps. Here's what it looks like now:
lnwlJl.jpg

I cannot place the MP10 any higher due to the overflow box, and the two returns are quite weak - I'm relying on my MP10 for the majority of the flow. Here's a side shot:
UX1R4l.jpg

and this was my original 'plan':
bIZotl.jpg

but it was just a rough estimate. I expected to be able to put my MP10 a tad higher, but it looks like I may have to shuffle some rock around. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow with just the mag return pump? Are you finding the MP10 is keeping things happy?

so far polyp extension is great! I think things are just now getting adjusted and I'm starting to see significant growth in some of my birdsnests and montis. I may upgrade to a Mag18 for good measure though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man love the scape!

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the rock-scape, the open rockwork is awesome and i dont think flow will be an issue with your design. What do you have planned for livestock besides the Clown?

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the rock-scape, the open rockwork is awesome and i dont think flow will be an issue with your design.
I had to shuffle things around; how it's pictured the main rock was dissipating a lot of the MP10 flow. I just replaced the MAG7 return pump with a Q1-6000 so a little more readjusting is necessary to make everyone happy.

What do you have planned for livestock besides the Clown?
I've got 2 clowns (normal ocellaris + extreme misbar), 2 bangaii cardinals, and 1 pygmy possum wrasse. I'm thinking about a blue spotted jawfish if I can every find one locally. I want to keep the bioload fairly light.

Man I had no idea you had a thread here haha.... I have been way to busy to keep up any more..:(
it's about time you joined the party!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back