bonding plexiglass to make a sump advice required

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im trying to build a custom sump 36L 15W 16H and looking at different material to bind im using 2 products weldon 4 and weldon 16 basically glueing the rectangle together with weldon 4 then once its dry im going to run a streak down like silicone of weldon 16 to completely " seal it " and enforce the hold on a wider radius
has anyone ever done something like this? would it work hold and not leak? ive read online that silicone doesnt work on plexi and to use gorilla glue sealant not 100% sure if its marine safe so i gotta look into that more

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your talking about putting plexiglass panels for baffles in a glass sump ive done this with simple GE1 silicone. Works just fine with adhesion. It’s still running like this on my 75g sump. No issues whatsoever.

Edit: I see you trying to bond plexiglass to plexiglass in your other thread. I believe Weld on would work great for this application.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about putting plexiglass panels for baffles in a glass sump ive done this with simple GE1 silicone. Works just fine with adhesion. It’s still running like this on my 75g sump. No issues whatsoever.
im actually trying to build the entire sump from plexiglass

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to use weld-on 40 for the "sealing" its a little hard to get but is the proper stuff for what your looking todo, creating a water tight seal with just weld on 4 is really hard imo better todo it like your saying with weldon 4 for inital bond then seal with 40. I've used it with an ATO and it worked perfectly, check out the acrylic fabrication thread on here for more info, and if you need specifics on weld on 40 there is another forum with a great thread and or let me know if you have any questions.

Also just curious, how thick is your acrylic?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to use weld-on 40 for the "sealing" its a little hard to get but is the proper stuff for what your looking todo, creating a water tight seal with just weld on 4 is really hard imo better todo it like your saying with weldon 4 for inital bond then seal with 40. I've used it with an ATO and it worked perfectly, check out the acrylic fabrication thread on here for more info, and if you need specifics on weld on 40 there is another forum with a great thread and or let me know if you have any questions.

Also just curious, how thick is your acrylic?
awesome thanks bud its a quarter inch thick with baffles installed i think itll hold and wont bend

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
basically trying to make the ruby sump from plexi
To be honest I did this exact build just used a glass tank 75g. Then used plexiglass baffles as I could cut the designs I wanted and use silicone to adhere them to the tank. I thought I had pictures of it but I failed to take pictures I see.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the acrylic thread here that @Turbo's Aquatics has been running for years. Do your self a favor and read the collective widow there before cutting your first piece of acrylic.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back