Booster Pump selection.

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I pull the trigger- thought I would ask here first. Have a 100 gpd RODI system that I have piggybacked with another 100gdp membrane. Is the linked pump a good choice? Spoke with Aquatec and he thinks the 8800 series is adequate, use the system once a week for 25 gallons of produced water. The same vender also lists a 200gpd Shurflow but at double the cost.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your current inlet pressure or what you are hoping to achieve, there's no good way to answer that question. Unless you have weak inlet pressure or some exit restriction or elevation change, it's not likely necessary.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Input 70psi, system pressure 48psi. I want the membranes to perform more efficiently- original system was Aquamax where the pump went out on me. Used to run 90psi system pressure. Added another membrane kit.

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, you don't consider this a hijacking of your thread, but additional information. I am asking the same question right now.... 3 Months ago I bought an Aquatic Life Smart Buddie, not realizing it had a limit of 100 GPD. I had a 75GPD with the BRS 75GPD Water Saver. I have a 7 stage systems and have noticed in the past month or two, I an burning through Anion Resin like crazy!!! Come to fine out my pressure form the Smart Buddie has jumped to 100psi+ and my membrane output water was 140-160TDS. Now that I found the source, I need to figure out how to address it. If I run with out the Smart Buddie and a 55 flow restrictor, I get a TDS of 6-8, at 60psi which I expect.

So, I am assuming that the boosted pressure was blowing the o-ring seal on the Membrane. So, now I am overly cautious about adding a booster pump. So, be careful of over compensating. I will be interested to see the comments on this thread, to better educate myself.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 8800 hooked up tp 3 membranes with great success maybe a decade of use or close to it

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the linked pump a good choice?
YES! it is as good as it gets and the gold standard for booster pumps. It will do what you need and it will do it well. '

I have low volume due to rusty pipes and it manages 3 membranes in water saving mode with ease. I have it where it runs an hour a day to top off my 320g system volume filling a 10g container I use for my kalk reactor. I also beat on this thing as I do 100g water changes, so its my hardest working pump next to my return pumps. as long as you feed it filtered water it will last you a very very long time

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am assuming that the boosted pressure was blowing the o-ring seal on the Membrane. So, now I am overly cautious about adding a booster pump. So, be careful of over compensating. I will be interested to see the comments on this thread, to better educate myself.
Yes you are over pressuring the system, and getting blow by. Your membranes should take a 100, I think im set at 90 with no issues. YOU need the flow restrictor, and you should tune the flow restrictor for best results. Meaning if you have low TDS like me you can restrict more and use 3 membranes, Higher tds you want only 1 membrane, and less restriction.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

This is the pump I'm looking at now- don't know why aquatec has a bazillion different models when npt fittings would obsolete half of them- my system runs 1/4in tube.

These pumps have adjustable pressure. There's alot of info out there and advertised vs actual performance of components (membranes), if I was to do it over again- Buckeye Hydro would supply a system for me, he really gets into the weeds to;)

One question- aquatec has a pretty good name for these pumps- what are you getting for the shurflow pumps- they seemed quite expensive for what I was looking for.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know the +- wires on the aquatec? Need to change p. to fit existing power supply

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see anyone disappointed in the 8800. Mine is a workhorse, giving me very close to 90 psi on a 6-stage RO/DI system. I love it.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed new booster 8800 and also installed a small adjustable waste valve, input 60psi, system 80psi, Went from 49min to fill a 5gal jug to 21min. Happy with result- needed new power supply as pump was ordered wrong with AC instead for DC.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back