Bought an angler, any advice?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So bought this little guy today. Supper excited. I gave the LFS guy an interview on what he needs outside a normal fish. Any tips greatly appreciated. And yes, I know he will eat anything that comes close, he has his own house.
Trying to post pic but getting error message. Will post later.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
c44f6b96b5e9c44917a5bc815668e22f.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool ! Took me a bit to even see this fish ! Your in central Florida I see. How far from the coast. Possible to get live bait shrimp or mud minnows from a Fish camp/bait shop ! Tell us more about the tank please . Size, filtration etc.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful not to overfeed. They really only need to eat +/- once a week. I would feed mine A (as in one) chromis once a week. When I got lazy and added three thinking he would pick em off one at a time........ He ate all three and that was the end of Mr. Angler...
Super cool fish with lots of personality.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the anglers! I had an orange one for a long time. Started him on ghost shrimp but he quickly took IQF silversides for me out of tweezers. I like to take the live food I'm feeding and offer it with the tweezers, this way they start to associate the tweezers with live food and then start offering the frozen food you want to give them. If everything fails but the live food set up a little 5-10 gallon and breed some mollies.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Original tank is 50 gallons mixed reef but very little sps, mostly lps/softies. I also have five Anenomes (started off as two for my clowns but they split). My clown are big and my angler is small but I know he’ll still try so he is getting his own tank. Basically his tank will be for just him and will be filled with some live rock and a bunch of bright colored sponges for him to live in. I’ll also probably throw in some sort of macro or something else for ghost shrimp to hide in. Main display and his tank will drop into the same sump. It’s a custom sump I built but basically return comes in and drops into the refugium. Refugium has some frags, live rock, and chaeto. From here it goes to the skimmer section. Skimmer, media bag (currently has rophos/carbon), and carbon reactor. Then bubble trap/heater and return pump. Return has 3 outputs - main display, angler tank, and carbon reactor. I also dose Red Sea 3 part. Picture would have been better here.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Levels in tank:

Alk: 8
Cal: 450
Nitrate: 0 (After initial cycle, I’ve never detected a single nitrate)
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 78.7
Ph: 7.9 (its low, I have a CO2 scrubber going in this weekend)
Sal: 1.025

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Planning to feed him ghost shrimp initially and then see how that goes and move to other stuff. I am about 1 hr from the coast, but i travel for work so I can always find stuff.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The whole feeding/overfeeding is the thing I am most worried about. My LFS says one things, you guys are saying another, and on other forums people says other things. My plan is to feed 1 ghost shrimp roughly 3 times a week and go from there. I don’t think I am going to do the Molly thing until he is bigger. I know he will eat it, but I’ve read elsewhere that if he heats thing that are too big it’s super bad for them. I also think switching him to frozen would be much easier, but I am gonna let him get going in his new home first. My LFS has been feeding him shrimp.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, and as far as not being able to see him - I brought him home in a bag with sponges. I gave it to my girlfriend and said look at the bright colored sponges I got. She looked and goes wow those are cool. 15 second delay she goes that ones looks like it has ey....oh my god! What the heck?! Her face was priceless.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha! I had to stare at the pic for a bit to find him! Great pickup! I've always wanted one... maybe I'll pull the trigger on one at some point

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the photo but this looks like one of the western Atlantic Frogfish, Perhaps occelated frogfish.
Look and see if it has little openings in the “armpits” (behind the pec. fins) instead of gill slits. Makes it a frogfish as opposed to an angler.

No gill slits in FF. Water goes in the mouth and out the siphons at the base of the pectorals. Hard to get a shot but you can see the "opening pimple" like structure at the base of the right pec. fin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ll take a look when I take him out for his weekly bath this weekend. Heavy sarcasm...I will try to check though.

In other news, I ordered a tank that will fit next to my existing setup on a shelf I built. Also have missing plumbing parts on order. I am plumbing this down to my existing sump and adding the return to my manifold. This will become a display refugium and will House the new angler. Basically it will have nice macro algae, bright sponges, and this guy. My existing refugium will convert to chaeto only along with existing cleanup crew down there.

Should be a fun build that I hope to knock out this sat/Sunday. Will try to post pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found some images.
20100111_Kalki _222725_30085.jpg
20100111_Kalki _222725_30085-2.jpg

So I did some research. All frog fish are in the angler family (at least the ones in our aquarium). Appears most of these guys (painted in warty) are frogfish. Pretty sure mine is, still an angler, but your right, frog fish is correct.

SloppyWalrus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google frog fish files, there is a mountain of info to learn from people's past experiences.

Inappropriatereefer on YouTube also had a cool warty frogfish with some nice videos of it.

I too kept one for awhile, named Kermit :)

Unfortunately they are tough to keep alive and typically have short life spans. Most seem to do fine, and then die suddenly.

Best of luck, they are awesome fish.

SloppyWalrus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google frog fish files, there is a mountain of info to learn from people's past experiences.

Inappropriatereefer on YouTube also had a cool warty frogfish with some nice videos of it.

Unfortunately they are tough to keep alive and typically have short life spans. Most seem to do fine, and then die suddenly.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Didn’t inappropriate reefer’s frog fish die at the end of the YouTube series?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back