branching hammer with a fragile skeleton. help, please...

  • Thread starter Thread starter rcillig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rcillig

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
173
Reaction score
169
Location
Omaha
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a big branching hammer from a guy who said it was during and I'm doing my best to save it, it is about 10inches high and it has 7 big heads and about 20 small on the stalk or base. But the heads that died before I got it, 5 of them are very fragile and the existing big heads are also fragile. I crushed one by accident moving it. What would one do to start a path to recovery and making it stronger? Should I cut the dead ones off? I could frag it up if needed but would rather keep it as one if possible. I thought about putting some super glue on the outsides to makes sure they don't crush or break so easily while it recovers? good or bad idea? Thanks a ton for any advice.
 
Hi there. Once you get the hammer into the tank, it should be fine. Sometimes in transport, corals get jostled around which can chip off pieces of the skeleton. For the moment, it would be best to let it recover from the move - later on you can remove any dead heads. I wouldn't put any superglue on the hammer beyond securing it to the rock work. Best of luck and happy reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new