Branching into new territory with an old book!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've had a freshwater planted discus tank for over twenty years. I've always wanted a saltwater reef tank and now I'm about to pull the trigger. Twenty years ago, I bought a book called "The book of the Marine Aquarium" by Nick Dakin. It contains lots if information about various species, their diet, aquarium behavior and how to care from them. It also has a lot of info on setting up an aquarium. My question is should I trust the information in the book or has the hobby changed so mu over the last twenty years that I should disregard it and use other sources?

I have plenty of time to plan out my new tank and I want to make sure I do it right!

Thanks,
John

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417310851.427804.jpg

Welcome!! I am unsure on the book. I know that the basics should be the same but with most things there are always advances

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You are at the right source for information regarding setting up a tank, lots of knowledgeable peeps here. 20 years is a long time, there are advancements in any field. I wouldn't necessarily throe the book out, but don't use it as your main source. Research here what you want, what works/doesn't work, and figure out your system with help.

Big thing to decide is what system or type of system you want, that will help dictate how your setup goes. Sps, lps, softie, fowlr, mix of types?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that book in my library of marine books. Nick wrote many aquarium books in England. There are some basics that haven't changed and many other topics that have in the past 20 years.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the salt hobby 15 yrs as of today. I am amazed at the advances in this time but I think the basics have stayed the same.
Use live rock, cycle the tank, bigger is better, coral needs low nutrients good flow and light, get a protein skimmer, and you get what you pay for. What has chanced is the design type and quality of the equipment. Skimmers are better, flow devices are smaller more powerful use less energy and create more natural flow patterns. The hobby has advanced rapidly. When I started power compact lighting was the rage now its LEDs. Like I said basics are the same but the equipment has improved.
I think one of the greatest improvements has been in the live stock and food. We have a better understanding of the nutritional needs of our fish and coral. There is a greater selection of captive raised and propagated. Those fish taken from the reef are by and large hand caught.
All of this makes the hobby easier for success.

Last edited:

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* Good insight Rob Top1 ,every year this hobby gets bigger and better.You will find lots of good updated information here and plenty of friendly people willing to help out.
DSCF8181_zps90423a7_edit_1417050065596.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome: to R2R!
Lots of people willing to help you along the way!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Find a local club. This hobby is so full of helpful people you pretty much can have 10 people to call and ask for help just going to one meeting. I was at the president of my clubs house buying corals before I ever even went to a meeting.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back