New Beginnings

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, I hate to start with a negative, but seahorses are an entire project by themselves, seperate from a reef tank. There is literally years of reading on here to keep you busy. Good luck with the move and sorry about the changes of life but a reef can be a huge source of pride.

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 24

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I are undergoing a lifestyle change that brings me to this forum. For the last 25 years we have owned a small ranch and my horses have been the center of my life. A medical condition has taken away my ability to ride, and so we have sold horses and will sell our property in the spring. We had a decorative koi pond that my husband did not want to sell with the ranch, so we bought a 55 gallon tank to keep the fish in this winter. Our goal is to build another koi/lily pond on our new property and then turn the fish tank into a saltwater aquarium. I've been reading posts here and articles and it's like a foreign language! We plan on taking the next year to learn how to build and care for these beautiful creatures, and it goes without saying that I HAVE to have some seahorses!

Please, if you would, share any books or information that will give us a starting point in understanding saltwater aquariums and how to be successful.

Thanks in advance,
Deb in N TX
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Congrats on this new adventure!
welcometuna.gif

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R. My recommendation for info,other than here, are reef keeping books by John Tullock. Some of the info might be a little dated but overall are very informative and helps explain alot of what is going on in a reef aquarium. I'm probably in the minority on this but I don't care much for the BRS tutorials. I get a infomercial vibe from them. If you join any Facebook groups take everything with a grain of salt. They are full of keyboard experts.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Horsefeathers welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

As stated seahorses have requirements that make housing in a reef more challenging. Definitely need an endless supply of copepods for them to eat. Would probably be a good idea to learn how to culture your own so you are sure to have a solid food source.

They struggle in high current (flow) applications. One thought may be to have a reef, supplemented with a small species specific tank for them. There are some smaller fish and invertebrates that pair nicely in a seahorse tank.

Sorry for your troubles, but wish you the best in this new venture.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As @Digimes said, seahorses are one of the sub-categories of saltwater aquariums that has its own set off of requirements and challenges. There have been several books done specifically on keeping seahorses but as I don't keep them I can't make a recommendation. I do remember that Matthew on BRS's secondary YouTube channel (the one that has Thomas and Matthew and does mainly short product review type videos--I think the channel is called 'Bulk Reef Supply - Saltwater Aquariums') set up a seahorse tank a few years back and he mentioned several resources and some off the unique aspects of a seahorse tank during that series. I would check it out.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I are undergoing a lifestyle change that brings me to this forum. For the last 25 years we have owned a small ranch and my horses have been the center of my life. A medical condition has taken away my ability to ride, and so we have sold horses and will sell our property in the spring. We had a decorative koi pond that my husband did not want to sell with the ranch, so we bought a 55 gallon tank to keep the fish in this winter. Our goal is to build another koi/lily pond on our new property and then turn the fish tank into a saltwater aquarium. I've been reading posts here and articles and it's like a foreign language! We plan on taking the next year to learn how to build and care for these beautiful creatures, and it goes without saying that I HAVE to have some seahorses!

Please, if you would, share any books or information that will give us a starting point in understanding saltwater aquariums and how to be successful.

Thanks in advance,
Deb in N TX
Welcome

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back