Brand name corals

fishgutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those selling frags how are you handling the names of the corals. For example if you frag a Jason Fox coral are you using his name with the coral when you sell it? It seems like those that have established names for some of these corals (Jason Fox) or even found them and pulled them from the wild and have given them credibility may not be happy about others making a profit from their work. I’m only asking because I too would like to sell my frags and am not sure how to handle this.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!!
I would sell it how you want, it is your coral and they just put a fancy name on it. Too make money. That’s my opinion....

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef
.animated_1546741249941.gif

I say sell it with the name it was given .

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those selling frags how are you handling the names of the corals. For example if you frag a Jason Fox coral are you using his name with the coral when you sell it? It seems like those that have established names for some of these corals (Jason Fox) or even found them and pulled them from the wild and have given them credibility may not be happy about others making a profit from their work. I’m only asking because I too would like to sell my frags and am not sure how to handle this.
Welcome comrade

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its good to say the company so that people understand where their coral originally came from. also, some corals have the same name but are two different corals, so the company name can help differentiate (for example, wwc buttkisser is different from the gb buttkisser zoa)

Companies are generally perfectly fine with you reselling "their" coral strains as its not theirs anymore once it is in your possession.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One advantage of retaining the original name is that it make it easier to do a Google search on care/placement/lighting/etc. If the buyer is not experienced enough to know what the coral is or its needs, it's really valuable to be able to look it up. If you give it a random name, they're not going to find it, or will mistakenly look up the wrong coral of the same name.

Veetz89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see what's stopping you from making your own name if that's what you're implying. It all comes from the same place.

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think using the name is fine. It establishes where it came from as long as your being honest and think about this.
Jason Fox Foxflame
WWC bounce
Everytime you use their name your giving them free advertising others might be like wow thats nice what other wwc corals are there. I feel it benefits everyone.

Diehard reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the originator would not get mad unless you change the name to your own because if they keep the name as theirs they get more name recognition and a “signature coral.” It also helps the overall community as we can all agree on one simple name to call and identify different corals as

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a topic about ending all the branding names only because it’s not scientific at all... the problem with today’s hobby is that everyone and their mother thinks they are good at naming items...

Usually it is my understanding if you discovered a new species you where entitled to claim the name. Now a days things are a muck with people naming random rock anemones “passion fruit tequila sunrise mojito anemone” and that is where I put a cut that out mark. As much as I love CB corals they are literally the worst at just naming things on a whim, like let’s say a new bounce mushroom comes out and he’s eating a Big Mac... now we have a Big Mac bounce mushroom.

I’ll spin this off into my own topic but I vote for ending stupid names altogether and be more scientific with the approach.

Corals like the holy grail torch cause so much drama with being miss sold to other hobbyists at a super premium and when they end up not matching the criteria the feeing of getting ripped off is quite the understatement.

I know when I started in the hobby there was just a single common name for zoas like “bam bams” and “eagle eyes” and literally now the hobby has a few other “pet” names plus the growers initials. Enough is enough.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back