Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve heard. There seems to be a lot of people these days that don’t even want coralline.

I’m cool with sticking to water changes once a week if it works but have there been cases of a small tank with only 30 or so small frags requiring dosing?
Yes. My tank :oops:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And once a week 15% water changes didn’t keep up?
I change about 20% actually, and not even close. Now, it did for a while. Sort of. I’ve always had low alk and Ca, and would only occasionally dose a little alk. But as things started to grow, the numbers started to drop. Now I’m dosing about 1dkh per day and the equivalent of Ca, and Ca is barely going up. It was originally in the sub-sub-basement, now it’s just in the sub-basement. I wish I had paid attention to it sooner!

Edit: for @living_tribunal Oh, and I think they do precipitate. That’s why you don’t ever mix them, you dose close together (time wise) and the instructions recommend dosing in different parts of the tank.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change about 20% actually, and not even close. Now, it did for a while. Sort of. I’ve always had low alk and Ca, and would only occasionally dose a little alk. But as things started to grow, the numbers started to drop. Now I’m dosing about 1dkh per day and the equivalent of Ca, and Ca is barely going up. It was originally in the sub-sub-basement, now it’s just in the sub-basement. I wish I had paid attention to it sooner!

I guess I’m happy I’m paying attention to this now.

Do alk and ca precipitate?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m happy I’m paying attention to this now.

Do alk and ca precipitate?
I edited the other post, my bad. Yes. Don’t mix them. Dose separately in different parts of the tank as per the instructions, a few minutes apart. Figure out your alk consumption in relation to what number you want to maintain (8.5, etc) and then dose the exact same amount of Ca. At least, that’s my understanding. If you dose the Dkh without the Ca, it drops your Ca more than if you did nothing, and vice versa.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited the other post, my bad. Yes. Don’t mix them. Dose separately in different parts of the tank as per the instructions, a few minutes apart. Figure out your alk consumption in relation to what number you want to maintain (8.5, etc) and then dose the exact same amount of Ca. At least, that’s my understanding. If you dose the Dkh without the Ca, it drops your Ca more than if you did nothing, and vice versa.

I’m aware of that but what I’m asking is after dosing do they evaporate with the water?

For instance, my tank evaporates about a gallon a day. Is there alk and calc being evaporated with it?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware of that but what I’m asking is after dosing do they evaporate with the water?

For instance, my tank evaporates about a gallon a day. Is their alk and calc being evaporated with it?
No, only the water evaporates. The tank also releases gases, nitrogen for example at the end of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate cycle; it ends with nitrogen gas coming out of your sandbed and rocks as tiny bubbles if you’ve ever seen that.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that’s very helpful.
Lol, I added a bit more to the post. Just remember back to chemistry class in highschool and metals on the periodic table. Calcium is a metal, in general, metals need to be super heated to vaporize; therefor it wouldn’t evaporate(vaporize) under normal tank conditions.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone say releasing gases? :p

Usually if calcium precipitates you would know/see it. I apologize if I did not see, but first I would check all you numbers and track them to get an idea of usage.

Use Randy’s calculator to help dose along with water changes to get to where you need. Don’t want big changes too fast, especially in Alk

Then set up a dosing schedule from there

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For instance, my tank evaporates about a gallon a day. Is there alk and calc being evaporated with it?
No. It’s why distilled water is so clean, when water evaporates it leaves everything behind. All sorts of things are using it up though, even your snails.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, only the water evaporates. The tank also releases gases, nitrogen for example at the end of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate cycle; it ends with nitrogen gas coming out of your sandbed and rocks as tiny bubbles if you’ve ever seen that.

If your tank is out of balance, will the water evaporate the excess nutrient until it balances?

For example, let’s say I have a dkh of 9 and my calcium is at 400 (extreme example).

Will alk evaporate to ~5.6dkh?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I added a bit more to the post. Just remember back to chemistry class in highschool and metals on the periodic table. Calcium is a metal, in general, metals need to be super heated to vaporize; therefor it wouldn’t evaporate(vaporize) under normal tank conditions.

To piggy back on the Hemm;Happy also watch when adding magnesium. It will also raise salinity a minimal amount, but a lot in a small tank can make a difference.

Mag can be dosed in larger increments to get to where you want with minimal affect. Be very slow with alk and calc, water changes is my preferred method with small amounts of additional dosing above what is normally needs

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone say releasing gases? :p

Usually if calcium precipitates you would know/see it. I apologize if I did not see, but first I would check all you numbers and track them to get an idea of usage.

Use Randy’s calculator to help dose along with water changes to get to where you need. Don’t want big changes too fast, especially in Alk

Then set up a dosing schedule from there

Have the hanna checkers on the way. Just going to do 1-2 large water changes until I can determine if dosing is necessary.

Ordered some soda ash, magnesium, and calcium chloride in case it is time to do minor two part.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 83 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back